Sign in with
Your question

Neverwinter Nights 2

Last response: in Video Games
February 20, 2008 12:23:19 PM

So what's the deal with this game now? Remember playing it shortly after it came out and it was riddled with bugs. What is it like now? Worth getting for someone who loved the first one and the Baldur's Gate series?

More about : neverwinter nights

February 20, 2008 12:35:47 PM

I never played it. Some people say it's patched, some people say it's unpatchable, some people say meh.

I did hear the expnsion was very good. I'm waiting for a pack that includes both.
February 20, 2008 2:40:20 PM

a lot of stuff is still buggy - TURN OFF AUTO SUMMONING FAMILIARS!!!! it will erase your characters...
most of the bugs i've been able to find fixes for, nothing terminal yet....
good game though
Related resources
February 20, 2008 4:23:26 PM

The expansion pack isn't bad, but way buggy even now after loads of patches, there's a bug that stops you leaving the first area of the game if you have more than one character selected. It's fun when it works but it adopts more of a Baldur's Gate 2 approach than NWN. I.e. it actually has a good story and you can control your companions. BTW if you play the expansion pack, you never get a thief in your party so maybe worth being one.
February 20, 2008 5:51:06 PM

Maybe I'm the oddball, but I never had any problems with this game. Admittedly, I played it some time after it came out and I understand that some major patching had been going on.

Fun game - lots of story and gameplay. Running from A to B gets a little old though...
February 20, 2008 6:58:15 PM

Single player campaign is great but multiplayer is not nearly as good as in Neverwinter Nights 1.
February 21, 2008 12:11:57 AM

Chazwuzzer said:
Maybe I'm the oddball, but I never had any problems with this game. Admittedly, I played it some time after it came out and I understand that some major patching had been going on.

Fun game - lots of story and gameplay. Running from A to B gets a little old though...

Okay, I may be another oddball. The game seems to run okay for me.

The graphic is fantastic I must say. But for me, I am still trying to get over the fact that I can pause during combat and queue up actions for my character and the NPCs. I personally don't really like this level of micro-management. And pausing the game all the time in the middle of a battle seems so ... fake.
February 22, 2008 3:49:22 AM

I played it. But you know what? half way into the game I kinda lost interest and never picked it up again. I haven't really experienced any bugs (at least from what I can remember.

I still have my saved games so just in case I have a burning desire to return to NWN2 20 or 30 years from now, I can pick up from where I last saved.
February 23, 2008 3:27:26 AM

jaguarskx said:
I played it. But you know what? half way into the game I kinda lost interest and never picked it up again. I haven't really experienced any bugs (at least from what I can remember.

I still have my saved games so just in case I have a burning desire to return to NWN2 20 or 30 years from now, I can pick up from where I last saved.

I see I'm not the only one then. What turned me off to the game was not being able to travel the entire map. I stopped playing just after starting ACT3.
February 29, 2008 5:03:40 PM

sometime during Act2 my rogue disappeared, Neeshka, and she wouldn't come back. Then, because of the familiar bug (i think) my game would crash every time I tried to zone. I eventually got it to work, but it took a week or so. All of that killed my interest in the game. I even have the expansion and haven't played it.

I was great while it lasted...
March 1, 2008 5:51:27 PM

Been playing since the game came out in Nov 2006.

Good game. I mostly play online games because I work swing shifts. The online play is difficult. It is a hard but fun game. Havent played the MOTB campaign. Heard it was really good.
The online servers are good. A lot of hard work went into them. But it is plagued by bugs (frequent crashes when transitioning etc.) The game like NWN1 is ahead of its time. The servers are difficult to create. the online servers are built by hardcore DnD fans, but they are limited. Give the game a little while. It will be better. But unlike Guild Wars it seems to be for DnD afficionados and people who are as interested in the social aspect of pc games as well as the people who say "I have 2 hoursI want to do as much as possible...ie metagaming and treasure hunting".
March 5, 2008 8:53:40 PM

By the way, the toolset is a great source of fun in NWN 2 too. It reminds me a bit of Photoshop in some respects. I bet you can make a truely stunning map that will make many jaws drop if you are a professional artist and have hundreds of hours of free time to spend on it.
March 6, 2008 9:07:50 PM

Morton said:
Single player campaign is great but multiplayer is not nearly as good as in Neverwinter Nights 1.

And there's the problem. I still have friends who play NWN online. I gave one friend my copy of NWN2 and he loaded it and immediately went back to NWN. I bought it the day it came out and was expecting SOME servers to offer playable worlds... ha! Yeah right. I was able to connect, but that was about it. I'm sure a LOT has changed since then, but I was so disappointed based on that first impression that I never was able to get back into it.
!