Hawking H-AI6SI - WRT54G - DWL-G630

Fry's Electronics has the H-AI6SI on sale this week. Net price after
rebates will be LT 10$. If I get $crewed on the rebate as very
occasionally happens, then the net price will actually $17.99.

I am connecting to a Linksys WRT54G (v1.0). It took about 30 seconds
(too long) to figure out how to disconnect one of the two antennae.
Disconnect power from the WRT54G. Straighten the antenna to extend
straight out from the WRT54G. Note that in the normal operating
position the antenna is bent 90 degrees at the base. Slide a shroud
from over the antenna connector on the WRT54G, then unscrew the
antenna from the base. Connect the supplied "RP-SMA to TNC connector"
to the WRT54G and to the Antenna. You are done. Power up the WRT54G.

One of my 802.11G devices is a laptop with a DLINK DWL-G630 card. It
has a nice GUI that diplays Signal Strength and Link Quality. Before
I installed the H-AI6SI, values reported were oscillated between 50%
and 80% for both measurements. Post-H-AI6SI values are oscillating
between 60% and 100%. Range between the units is about 30 ft, with
two intervening walls with normal drywall/aluminum stud construction.

Not a very scientific set of tests, but the apparent improvement
allows me to decide that I did not waste my money. Now we will see if
Hawking is better about honoring rebates than an unnamed company that
sells a very popular CD and DVD burning product.

"bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message
> so what is a H-AI6SI ?
> .

Sounds like a Hawking antenna. Try Google to search for the name.

Bob Alston

---