Your question
Closed

gta4 for PC and system specs

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 20, 2008 2:25:41 PM

first of all is gta4 coming out for pc? and second what are the system specs going to be like? my rig: e8400 @3.6,8800gt factory oced,2gb of OCz pc6400 ram and windows xp. i should be able to run the game on high settings right?

More about : gta4 system specs

February 20, 2008 2:45:37 PM

Quote:
first of all is gta4 coming out for pc?
Probably. I wouldn't hold your breath though... they haven't exactly been "speedy" in the past when it came to porting those games to the PC.

Quote:
e8400 @3.6,8800gt factory oced,2gb of OCz pc6400 ram and windows xp. i should be able to run the game on high settings right?

That's a silly question. I think you already know the answer to that.
February 20, 2008 4:40:26 PM

april 29th is the scheduled release date, you can even pre-order your copy at certain retailers
Related resources
February 21, 2008 3:00:41 AM

rgeist554 said:
Quote:
Probably. I wouldn't hold your breath though... they haven't exactly been "speedy" in the past when it came to porting those games to the PC.

Quote:
e8400 @3.6,8800gt factory oced,2gb of OCz pc6400 ram and windows xp. i should be able to run the game on high settings right?

Thats a yes. I was able to play GTA 3 on a Celeron 1.4GHz w/256MB ram and onboard video at max settings. So this shouldn't give your PC any problems.

nevesis said:
april 29th is the scheduled release date, you can even pre-order your copy at certain retailers

thats for the X360 and PS3. PC will probably hit the stores in about October. And usually with a few updates and nicer, crisper looking graphics.
February 21, 2008 11:47:25 AM

and mods...don't forget the mods!!! (some of the Vice City and San Andreas ones were awesome!!)
February 21, 2008 12:39:53 PM

thx for the help but how long after the xbo and ps3 wil it come out for pc
February 21, 2008 1:23:15 PM

Quote:
thats for the X360 and PS3. PC will probably hit the stores in about October. And usually with a few updates and nicer, crisper looking graphics.

^^ ?
February 22, 2008 3:41:25 AM

rgeist554 said:
Quote:

Quote:

I think you will need at least a 20GHz octa-core CPU (8 cores) with at least 256 8800GTXs SLIed just to get 10 FPS on the PC version at 640 x 480 resolution. And that that's just for black and white. To get color you may need to wait for 256 video cards SLIed that's expected to come out 500 years from now.
February 22, 2008 10:24:08 AM

Nice system you got there, waxpants1.

I haven't seen any announcement. A PC version would require pretty decent hardware. Rockstar has however released most of genre on the platform, and should be able to ensure the title accommodates a variety of setups. A PC version would be a natural progression and tap into a huge user base.

It's impossible to say at this stage whether you'll be able to use high detail. It depends on how the game is written. But on thing I would say is that in terms of your particular system, an (upper mid-range) card like the 8800GT is a very capable device as long as you have sufficient video memory. If that isn't fast enough your only option would be SLI or 8800GTX. I think you should be able to run the game at a decent frame rate but you may need to drop the resolution and detail down a couple of notches. Your CPU is dual-core and very fast..can't really see that being an issue either and you have a decent amount of RAM.

You'd also need Vista to get DX10 functionality, or use DX9 code paths with their associated drawbacks.

One thing I love about the PC is the ability to use the mouse, and define your own keys. That's a big bonus for me with these games, and I must have spent lord knows how many hours on the first two, which are my favourite. To able to play the game online would be awesome.

All the best :) 
February 23, 2008 3:29:25 AM

rgeist554 said:
Quote:

^^ ?

When I played GTA3/VC/SA on the PC and compared it to the PS2/XBox it looked much better. Or to me it did.

wild9 said:
Nice system you got there, waxpants1.

I haven't seen any announcement. A PC version would require pretty decent hardware. Rockstar has however released most of genre on the platform, and should be able to ensure the title accommodates a variety of setups. A PC version would be a natural progression and tap into a huge user base.

It's impossible to say at this stage whether you'll be able to use high detail. It depends on how the game is written. But on thing I would say is that in terms of your particular system, an (upper mid-range) card like the 8800GT is a very capable device as long as you have sufficient video memory. If that isn't fast enough your only option would be SLI or 8800GTX. I think you should be able to run the game at a decent frame rate but you may need to drop the resolution and detail down a couple of notches. Your CPU is dual-core and very fast..can't really see that being an issue either and you have a decent amount of RAM.

You'd also need Vista to get DX10 functionality, or use DX9 code paths with their associated drawbacks.

One thing I love about the PC is the ability to use the mouse, and define your own keys. That's a big bonus for me with these games, and I must have spent lord knows how many hours on the first two, which are my favourite. To able to play the game online would be awesome.

All the best :) 

the hardware on the X360 and PS3 is not as advanced(well GPU wise). The PS3 uses a 7900GT version and the X360 uses a R500(basically a X1800XT). So they will not have DX10 graphics to start but they may add them into the PC version. It will go to the PC.

The PC's we have now are probably going to be able to easily play GTA4 at nice resolutions/settings no problems asked considering the hardware is more advanced than consoles. And yes the Cell is not as advanced as a dual/quad core CPU.

Either way I can't wait. I miss Liberty City and can't wait to mess with the physics like I did in GTA3. Used to take a firetruck and drive it as fast as I could with 3 stars, ram a cop car and they would fly in the air spinning in circles. Ahh fun times.
September 15, 2008 3:50:46 AM

these r the official spec from rockstar.
this is the sit i got the details from.
http://www.fragland.net/news/comments/19596/

Recommended specs are:

* Processor: Dual core processor (Intel
  • Pentium D or better)
    * RAM: 2GB
    * Hard Drive: 18GB free hard disk space
    * Video Card: 512MB Direct3D 10 compatible video card or Direct3D 9 card compatible with Shader
    * Drive: DVD-ROM dual-layer drive
    Anonymous
    January 24, 2009 5:46:43 AM

intel(R) core(TM) DUO cpu t8100 @2.10GHz 2.10 GHz

ram 3.00 gb

system type 32 bit operation system

will this work ??
    June 2, 2009 7:03:43 AM

hey guys,

i have

Inter Dual Core 2,66Ghz
    2Gb of RAM