Logon and Users

September 27, 2004 2:05:02 AM

I just had to replace my hard drive and therefore, reload XP onto my
computer. I don't know what I did wrong when reloading it, but now I HAVE to
signin on the welcome screen. I never had to do this before. I've talked with
several computer saavy friends and no one can figure out why we can't choose
some sort of option that would allow me to bypass this. Any suggestions? Is
this a new security feature? I'm the only one using my computer and I don't
even want to have to click on my name without a password! Please help!

More about : logon users

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 5:06:18 AM

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:05:02 -0700, Larissa wrote:

> I just had to replace my hard drive and therefore, reload XP onto my
> computer. I don't know what I did wrong when reloading it, but now I HAVE to
> signin on the welcome screen. I never had to do this before. I've talked with
> several computer saavy friends and no one can figure out why we can't choose
> some sort of option that would allow me to bypass this. Any suggestions? Is
> this a new security feature? I'm the only one using my computer and I don't
> even want to have to click on my name without a password! Please help!

Start> Run> control userpasswords2
Select your account from the list. Uncheck box that user name/password is
required to logon. Click Apply and fill in the info on the screen that
appears. At the next logon, the welcome screen should be bypassed.

If in the future you need to log on with a different account, press Shift
while Windows is loading and the normal Welcome screen will appear.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User