How to add CD to Ntbackup media pool?

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 315255
Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or
DVD-R Devices says in part:
> Removable Storage Management regards CD-R, CD-RW,
or DVD-R as just a file system-capable media type.
However, the Windows file system does not support
formatting CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R media. Removable
Storage Management cannot write an RSM free label
because the disc appears to be write-protected.
This means that Removable Storage Management
treats CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD-R media as read-only
media types even if you add them to the Ntbackup
media pool.

Since I have Roxia Easy CD Creator which does
formatting and allows me use my CD as a "huge,
floppy disk",it would seem as though adding CD to
the Ntbackup media pool would allow for backing up
to CD onto pre-formatted CD's.

My problem is, I can not find in the database
articles how to do that change to the Ntbackup
media pool.

Any suggestions?

Skid

Gordon

"Skid Schermerhorn" <sscherme@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 315255
> Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or
> DVD-R Devices says in part:
> > Removable Storage Management regards CD-R, CD-RW,
> or DVD-R as just a file system-capable media type.
> However, the Windows file system does not support
> formatting CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R media. Removable
> Storage Management cannot write an RSM free label
> because the disc appears to be write-protected.
> This means that Removable Storage Management
> treats CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD-R media as read-only
> media types even if you add them to the Ntbackup
> media pool.
>
> Since I have Roxia Easy CD Creator which does
> formatting and allows me use my CD as a "huge,
> floppy disk",it would seem as though adding CD to
> the Ntbackup media pool would allow for backing up
> to CD onto pre-formatted CD's.
>
> My problem is, I can not find in the database
> articles how to do that change to the Ntbackup
> media pool.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Skid

if you format the CD for packet writing in easy CD Creator, then NTBackup
should see the CDRW drive as a storage disk.

Gordon wrote:
> "Skid Schermerhorn" <sscherme@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>
>> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 315255
>>Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or
>> DVD-R Devices says in part:
>>
>>>Removable Storage Management regards CD-R, CD-RW,
>>
>>or DVD-R as just a file system-capable media type.
>>However, the Windows file system does not support
>>formatting CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R media. Removable
>>Storage Management cannot write an RSM free label
>>because the disc appears to be write-protected.
>>This means that Removable Storage Management
>>treats CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD-R media as read-only
>>media types even if you add them to the Ntbackup
>>media pool.
>>
>>Since I have Roxia Easy CD Creator which does
>>formatting and allows me use my CD as a "huge,
>>floppy disk",it would seem as though adding CD to
>>the Ntbackup media pool would allow for backing up
>>to CD onto pre-formatted CD's.
>>
>>My problem is, I can not find in the database
>>articles how to do that change to the Ntbackup
>>media pool.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>>
>>Skid
>>

> if you format the CD for packet writing in easy CD Creator, then NTBackup
> should see the CDRW drive as a storage disk.

Thanks, Gordon. With a formatted CD, Backup still
only sees A: and C:

Skid

TRENDING THREADS