How to add CD to Ntbackup media pool?

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 315255
Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or
DVD-R Devices says in part:
> Removable Storage Management regards CD-R, CD-RW,
or DVD-R as just a file system-capable media type.
However, the Windows file system does not support
formatting CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R media. Removable
Storage Management cannot write an RSM free label
because the disc appears to be write-protected.
This means that Removable Storage Management
treats CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD-R media as read-only
media types even if you add them to the Ntbackup
media pool.

Since I have Roxia Easy CD Creator which does
formatting and allows me use my CD as a "huge,
floppy disk",it would seem as though adding CD to
the Ntbackup media pool would allow for backing up
to CD onto pre-formatted CD's.

My problem is, I can not find in the database
articles how to do that change to the Ntbackup
media pool.

Any suggestions?

Skid
2 answers Last reply
More about ntbackup media pool

    "Skid Schermerhorn" <sscherme@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 315255
    > Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or
    > DVD-R Devices says in part:
    > > Removable Storage Management regards CD-R, CD-RW,
    > or DVD-R as just a file system-capable media type.
    > However, the Windows file system does not support
    > formatting CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R media. Removable
    > Storage Management cannot write an RSM free label
    > because the disc appears to be write-protected.
    > This means that Removable Storage Management
    > treats CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD-R media as read-only
    > media types even if you add them to the Ntbackup
    > media pool.
    >
    > Since I have Roxia Easy CD Creator which does
    > formatting and allows me use my CD as a "huge,
    > floppy disk",it would seem as though adding CD to
    > the Ntbackup media pool would allow for backing up
    > to CD onto pre-formatted CD's.
    >
    > My problem is, I can not find in the database
    > articles how to do that change to the Ntbackup
    > media pool.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Skid

    if you format the CD for packet writing in easy CD Creator, then NTBackup
    should see the CDRW drive as a storage disk.

    Gordon wrote:
    > "Skid Schermerhorn" <sscherme@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 315255
    >>Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or
    >> DVD-R Devices says in part:
    >>
    >>>Removable Storage Management regards CD-R, CD-RW,
    >>
    >>or DVD-R as just a file system-capable media type.
    >>However, the Windows file system does not support
    >>formatting CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R media. Removable
    >>Storage Management cannot write an RSM free label
    >>because the disc appears to be write-protected.
    >>This means that Removable Storage Management
    >>treats CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD-R media as read-only
    >>media types even if you add them to the Ntbackup
    >>media pool.
    >>
    >>Since I have Roxia Easy CD Creator which does
    >>formatting and allows me use my CD as a "huge,
    >>floppy disk",it would seem as though adding CD to
    >>the Ntbackup media pool would allow for backing up
    >>to CD onto pre-formatted CD's.
    >>
    >>My problem is, I can not find in the database
    >>articles how to do that change to the Ntbackup
    >>media pool.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions?
    >>
    >>Skid
    >>

    > if you format the CD for packet writing in easy CD Creator, then NTBackup
    > should see the CDRW drive as a storage disk.

    Thanks, Gordon. With a formatted CD, Backup still
    only sees A: and C:

    Skid

DVD Writers Storage Management Microsoft CD-Rom Windows XP