Deskjet 640c, both lights blinking, carriage stalled!

bruss

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

My HP 640c's cradle stops somewhere 5 to 10 cm left to the cartridge
carriage (cradle) docking station and both lights, Power and Resume are
blinking. I can switch the printer off and on again but the cradle will not
move except the printer lid is opened. Then the cradle goes through the
initial motions of head cleaning and then moves to a position left to the
center. Here the resume light blinks while the power light is lit but not
blinking.
The manual states there is either a paper jam or the cartridges are not
inserted correctly. Neither is the case. Replacing both cartridges, black
(20) and colour (49) made no difference.
I tried all kinds of things including stripping the printer and looking
for stuck sensors or bad cable connections.
PLEASE help if you got some idea what could help fixing this problem.

Thanks

Roland Bruss

Has the printer begun making an extremely loud noise when the cradle is still
near the docking station? The cradle could be getting stuck in the docking
station.