COD4 crashes when opening "join servers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcbryant

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Alright, I have searched for a solution to this, but no luck. Something changed on my pc I guess such that now when I want to play COD4 online, when I start the game and then select "Join Server", it crashes, with windows telling me that iw3mp.exe reported an error and needs to close. I have achieved max rank, and I wasn't sure a reinstall would destroy all my progress. I updated my graphics drivers, and have the latest patch for COD4, but still no luck. Single player works fine. Its only when I select "join server" do I get problems.

Please help as there are certainly a lot of people that are missing having me pwn them :)

My specs are:

C2D E6400
ATI X1950XTX
Shuttle PC 975x
Onboard realtek HD audio
seagate 320g HD.

orph

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
I am having the exact same problem. It seems that it may be realtek related, but nothing I've tried has helped.

My specs:
Sager 5720
geforce 7800 go
System has onboard realtek audio, but using external creative x-mod.

orph

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
Solved it!

What I had to do was turn on a mod I'd been playing(zombie) and change the selected map filter. Turns out I had zombie only selected and for some reason doing this crashes the regular game.

k1dude

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I'm having the same problem. It all started with an automatic Microsoft Vista update about a month ago. My Skype stopped working and my COD4 started taking forever to load. But at least the COD4 still worked (both single and multiplayer). I couldn't figure out how to fix either problem.

Then last week, another automatic Microsoft Vista update occured. When I saw the update had happened overnight, I was hoping they had downloaded a patch to fix the two problems I had been experiencing. But noooo! It was even worse than before. Skype still doesn't work. But now my COD4 multiplayer doesn't work. It won't load and I keep getting an iw3mp.exe error.

I have tried everything to get multiplayer working again with no luck. I've scoured the internet looking for fixes. There are quite a few people having the same problem for quite some time now. Some people have had some luck with various fixes, but none of them work for me.

I've downloaded all the updates for COD4, my graphics card, my motherboard, etc. I've tried the .asi to .bak file extension change. I've tried the microphone plug in trick. I've tried the uninstall/reinstall drill on all associated software which was a royal PITA. I've tried XY & Z. I've tried it all with no luck whatsoever.

I think the problem lies with Microsoft. Unfortunately, all companies involved seem to either care less or deny there's a problem. They keep blaming the user. Yet the problem is widespread and no one is addressing it.

If someone finds a new fix, please let us know.

C2D E6600
MSI P6N 650i Platinum
Dual EVGA 7900 GS KO in SLI
4GB Corsair XMS2 6400

mickey2523

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

Hey jscbyrant u said u didnt want to loose ur profile u dont have to u can just grab the profiles folder from the COD4 directory and put it somewhere safe then just drag in when u have finished reinstalling. The profiles are linked to cd keys so its fine :). Im also having this same problem with the crashing but i believe it was to do with a mod I downloaded it didnt go in too well but now I cant find it so I cant delete it.

G

I have same problem but if u transfer the profile it still doesnt work. because all the other profiles work except for this 1. It gets really annnoying but last year it happend to be 1nc and i left it and made a new profile. a few months ago i found out it is now working again and now it has hapend again

G

!DONT BE PUT OF BECAUSE ITS FILE EDITING! IT WORKED FOR ME

I had the same problem and I managed to fix it. And you dont lose your achivments such as weapon skins and headshots. nothing is changed. This is what I did

1. Make a new profile in the game.

2. go to Program Files/Activision/Cod 4/Players/Profiles/(the new account)

3. Copy the new CFG file (config_mp.cfg) to the profile that can't browse the server list

4. Open the config_mp.cfg file and press Ctrl + H (replace) [if it says you need to select a program. click take program from a list and use notepad]

5. Put the name of the new profile in the first box, and your old profile in the second. Press Replace all. Save the file.

6. Take the file config.cfg (NOT config_mp.cfg) out of the file to your desktop. (you can always put it back) if you dont have config.cfg it doesn't matter.

6. Repeat step 4 for config.cfg

7. Go in game, and it should work.

Note: You might lose Singleplayer saved games

Richo1203

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Hi all I was having the same problem with COD4 crashes when i click join game
I fixed it by resetting my filters in the last mod i was using."Paintball"

Status
Not open for further replies.