Amplify Linksys BEFW11S4 signal

Hello,

I would like to amplify the signal of my Linksys BEFW11S4 AP. I bought a
Linksys WAP11, but unfortunately the firmware on the device does not
support repeater mode and an upgrade seems to be impossible. My question:
what are my options? Can I assume, repeaters of other companies are
compatible? Is there another (cheap :) ) way to amplify the signal? Or
does anybody know the "definite way to upgrade the WAP11 firmware" --
besides the ones described on the various "hack-sides"?

Regards
Jochen

Jochen Witte wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to amplify the signal of my Linksys BEFW11S4 AP. I bought a
> Linksys WAP11, but unfortunately the firmware on the device does not
> support repeater mode and an upgrade seems to be impossible. My question:
> what are my options? Can I assume, repeaters of other companies are
> compatible? Is there another (cheap :) ) way to amplify the signal? Or
> does anybody know the "definite way to upgrade the WAP11 firmware" --
> besides the ones described on the various "hack-sides"?
>
> Regards
> Jochen
Buy a high-gain antenna and screw it onto the left/right antenna
instead. (Hawkings)
Wim

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:18:01 -0400, "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote:

>Try this:
>http://www.rflinx.com/Amplifiers/2.4GHz-Amplifiers/2400_APX_Series.htm

Not good. Fixed gain, no AGC, not enough gain. In the 802.11b only
mode, it has +12dB of gain and +29dBm out RF output. That means that
the input signal must be +17dBm to get full output. Most cheapo
access points actually put out about +14dBm (my measurements) and not
the specified +15 to +17dBm quoted in the data sheets. However, let's
be optimistic and assume that the access point belches +17dBm. So,
how much loss is allowed between the access point and the amplifier?
Zero. Any connector or cable loss will directly subtract from the
output power. If you plug the amp directly into the output of the
access point, it might work, but any connectors (-0.5dB per pair) or
coax (0.7dB/ft LMR-400) will directly subtract from the output power.

If that's the style of amplification you want, try some amplified
antennas.
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-160-ProdID-BA24J.php
http://www.renasis.com/products/BA24j.pdf
I've never tried this product and am rather skeptical.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:34:04 GMT, "LT" <lorentheodore@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>The amp is cool, but is it legal?
>LT

http://www.rflinx.com/Amplifiers/2.4GHz-Amplifiers/2400_APX_Series.htm

Strictly speaking *NONE* of these add ons are totally "legal" unless
type certified as a system under 15.247. That means the access point,
cables, amplifier, and antenna are suppose to be blessed by the FCC as
a system, and only sold as a system. Obviously, that's not being done
or enforced. So, a good backfall is to not do anything that would
belch garbage or exceed the xmit power limit.

The amplfier only puts out 800mw, so it's under the 1watt absolute max
tx power limit. At 800mw, the maximum omni antenna gain is +7dBi, so
the supplied 5.5dBi omni antenna is legal. I can't tell if it has an
FCC certification and am too lazy to look it up on the FCCID web
search page. I'll assume that since it's being offered for sale, it
must have passed Part 15 certification.

Yeah, methinks it's legal.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558