New Nforce2 System hangs a few seconds after Post.

Hi

I have just assembled a new PC based on Leadteks K7NCR18D Pro Nforce 2 mboard. I have installed an Athlon XP2700, with copper shim and TT Volcano 7+ heatsink/fan. Memory is Kingmax PC2700 256MB (DDR333).

Upon POST the memory is detected OK as are all drives etc. After a few seconds the video signal shuts off and I get constant short beeps from the speaker. I have re-seated memory, swapped slots etc to no avail. I can still poer off the system with the 4 second hold on Pwr switch so I assume mboard is OK. I also assume CPU is OK as it will begin to post every time and I can sometimes get into BIOS setup...but not for long.

I am thinking it could be one of the following:

Heatsink/Fan not seated properly - I read a note to peel label off of shim but could not see one. One side of the shim was copper the other was silver. Was the silver half the label - should the shim be copper all over? (dum I know).

Memory? Doubt it, got two sticks tried one at a time...same result.

Could be a mboard raiser shorting but it would fail straight away.. I think.

My guess is that I have left the label on the shim and the BIOS is shutting down the CPU before it overheats.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about nforce2 system hangs seconds post
  1. uhh, post all the hardware on your computer including your vid card, and tell us how many beeps total. and have you looked up the beeps already?

<A HREF="http://www.trsclan.com" target="_new"> Clan TRS is Back </A>
  2. Sorted it. Shim was slightly warped and system was shutting down on overheat.

Cheers anyway.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Memory