thorthemighty

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
I am looking to triboot linux, 2000 & XP. Has anyone done this and be able to provide step by step instructions? I have a 60GB & a 120GB disk and would like both of the windows file systems to be ntfs.
I have tried googling but I get a mass of information which leaves me baffled. What I can gather though is that linux has to be at the beginning of a disk but installed last - can't see how this can be achieved however. Also is linux incompatible with ntfs?

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I can't give you all the info you require. I can however help you in the right direction.

First of all, I would suggest that you partition your Primary Master disk into 3 partitions. Don't format any partitions yet, wait until you are installing the OS to select the filesystem. Install Windows 2000 first, then install XP as a dual boot. Lastly, install Linux, with a boot loader, either GRUB or LILO.

Set up your boot loader to load all three operating systems.

And yes, Linux is compatible with NTFS, but I've never worked with it myself. Someone here will have better info for you on that.

Hope this helps you in the right direction.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
1GB DDR333
R9600XT 128MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG DVD+-R/RW
WIN2K PRO SP4

thorthemighty

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Sparky,
I am fairly confident about dual booting 2000 & XP as well as sorting out all the partitions so it looks like I may need only to investigate installing linux and finding out it's boot loader.

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Multiboot/multiboot1.htm" target="_new">Black Viper's Multiple OS Install Guide</A>

<A HREF="http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallRH80/installrh8-1.htm" target="_new">Black Viper's Redhat 8.0 Install Guide</A>

<font color=red><i>"All delays are dangerous in war."</font color=red></i>