Motherboard => Trash?

BenderUnit22

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2001
faithful posters,

The chasis and cpu fan connectors on the motherboard are both dead.

The fans connected to it doesnt turn. it still wouldnt work after a new fan.i think theres no power going thru it.

other than that, i can boot my pc do run everything as usual with no errors. but the cpu heats up really fast without the fan.

uh yea, the motherboard fan also doesnt move.

so my question is: is there a problem in the motherboard or is it in the power supply?

i wonder if my mother accidentally unplugging the pc has anything to do with it.

its a asus a7m266 1year old if it matters

omg, 64C now, i better go.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by benderunit22 on 12/12/02 11:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i think you over loaded the pathways for the fan power, you may have shorted them also, thats the only reason i can think the northbridge fan died too.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not sure what happened to your plug-ins, but were you using a big fan? That may have overloaded and killed them.

At any rate, why don't you just get a five pin adapter for your HSF? That way it'll run and you can keep using the board. If your HSF blows on your North Bridge, that'll probably enough to keep that stable. Otherwise, yer lookin' at a new board!

Good luck.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

BenderUnit22

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2001
thanks for the replies

the 4 to 3 pin adapter seems like a good idea. but there are only 2 power cables from my power supply, both has been splitted into 2 hd and 2 cdroms. it wont be possible to split some more, if it can, will it over load?

is there any 4pin Y splitted to 3pin and 4 pin adapters?

are those adapters only available online or are they common items found in local computer shops? thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by benderunit22 on 12/13/02 00:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Every power supply is different as to how much load you can put on it, but I wouldn't think splitting out your CPU fan would cause a problem.

Yes, the one's I've seen give you a straight through plus the three pin breakout. It's a pretty simple affair. You can probably get the splitter at your local computer store. I've received them before when I buy a fan, sometimes they throw the adapter in to give you the option in case the fan puts too much load on the motherboard headers.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

arDAWG

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
I would definitely say ur on board headers are dead. I wouldn't run ur computer w/out the fans or u may end up w/ a fried cpu. 64C is pretty hot, esp. considering the on mobo diodes can be off +/- 5 to 10C. I would definitely look into a new psu (u don't say what wattage it is) but u may be underpowered. I use an Antec psu in my personal system (400W) & an Enermax 431W in the other. These both have more than enough connectors to power numerous fans. I would look into a quality 300W psu, minimum. If u go w/ a bigger (more wattage) unit, it may cost more $'s, but will hedge ur bets against future upgrades. For the time being, get sum 3 to 5pin converters & Y-Split molex connectors & get those fanz spinning. ;-)