What exactly does "date last modified" mean?

I have certain saved files. When I use a search for them, they say when they
were last modified. What exactly does modify mean? I know it updates
everytime you open the file, but does it also update the time that you delete
the file?
1 answer Last reply
More about what date modified mean

    Modify means when you make changes to the file. Why would you care
    about date of deletion? Delete means no longer needed.
    "tam621" <tam621@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have certain saved files. When I use a search for them, they say when
    they
    > were last modified. What exactly does modify mean? I know it updates
    > everytime you open the file, but does it also update the time that you
    delete
    > the file?

Microsoft Windows XP