What exactly does "date last modified" mean?

I have certain saved files. When I use a search for them, they say when they
were last modified. What exactly does modify mean? I know it updates
everytime you open the file, but does it also update the time that you delete
the file?

Modify means when you make changes to the file. Why would you care
about date of deletion? Delete means no longer needed.