HL2 Orange BOX

From what I have experience the Orange Box(and any other Valve game) Requires you to link it to a user name on Steam. But after that you can install it on how ever many PCs you want and use the same login on each PC.

Only restriction is that you cannot be online on those other PC's at the same time.

So yes in a way through Steam.

Other than that Orange Box is well worth it. Every game is fun and interesting.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
sooooo.
If I had NO internet connection would I be able to install and run this game? Your answer indicates to the negative.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
it's a theoretical question.
I don't buy games where I have to ask the 'internet mommy' whether or not I can play a game.
I didn't buy Bioshock for the same reason.
If/When these OMNIPRESENT companies cease to exist, my game becomes worthless. I play a lot of oldies. Games I buy now will one day be oldies. I will want to play them. Not just in the timeframe the publishers dictate to me.

Steam is different. You just need to use the online to activate it once. After that you can play all of the games in Offline mode where you don't have to have a internet connection. Trust me before I had DSL I had 56k and having it on all the time was impossible.

I respect Valve as Steam is a great system. The game is always yours and if you lose the disc there are no worries as you can redownload it at any time. It also helps to stop piracy, which after a while gets annoying as the cost are passed on to us consumers who pay for their products.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
Thanks for your reply

The game is always yours and if you lose the disc there are no worries as you can redownload it at any time.

To turn this around: If I DON'T lose the disk, and want to play this in the future when valve/steam decide they are no longer supporting this game or are no longer in business, then I cannot activate the game, correct?

I prefer the responsibility of ownership to be with the person that purchased the game, and not with the provider. This sets a dangerous precedent. Would you be happy calling the bookstore before you could open the new book YOU JUST PURCHASED? I think not.

My point is not to be argumentative. It's this: If I pay FULL price for a piece of software, I want to be in FULL control of WHERE and WHEN I install it. If these two criteria aren't met, I feel the seller can't expect me to keep MY side of the bargain either.