Reading XP docs on windows 98

my windows 98 laptop won't read documents on floppy saved by my XP pc. Should
it be able to?
6 answers Last reply
More about reading docs windows

    It should if you have the same program installed in
    your Windows 98 computer that created the docs in
    Windows XP.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Char" wrote:

    | my windows 98 laptop won't read documents on floppy saved by my XP pc. Should
    | it be able to?

    well, they are both WORD. Just 98 is an older version.... should it recognise
    docs from xp version?

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > It should if you have the same program installed in
    > your Windows 98 computer that created the docs in
    > Windows XP.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Char" wrote:
    >
    > | my windows 98 laptop won't read documents on floppy saved by my XP pc. Should
    > | it be able to?

    If a doc was created in Word, it should be able to
    be opened and read by another computer using Word.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Char" wrote:

    | well, they are both WORD. Just 98 is an older version.... should it recognise
    | docs from xp version?

    Thank you so much. I shall soldier on. Thank you.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > If a doc was created in Word, it should be able to
    > be opened and read by another computer using Word.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Char" wrote:
    >
    > | well, they are both WORD. Just 98 is an older version.... should it recognise
    > | docs from xp version?

    You have a choice in Word to save docs so that they can be read by older
    versions,
    and you have converters that should do the reverse and let older docs be read
    by newer versions.

    Britt Dickson

    "Char" <Char@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Thank you so much. I shall soldier on. Thank you.
    |
    | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    |
    | > If a doc was created in Word, it should be able to
    | > be opened and read by another computer using Word.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Carey Frisch
    | > Microsoft MVP
    | > Windows XP - Shell/User
    | >
    | > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    | > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    | >
    | > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | >
    | > "Char" wrote:
    | >
    | > | well, they are both WORD. Just 98 is an older version.... should it
    recognise
    | > | docs from xp version?

    What version of Word do you have on the old computer and what version on the
    XP system?

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    > well, they are both WORD. Just 98 is an older version.... should it
    > recognise
    > docs from xp version?
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> It should if you have the same program installed in
    >> your Windows 98 computer that created the docs in
    >> Windows XP.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >>
    >> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    >> "Char" wrote:
    >>
    >> | my windows 98 laptop won't read documents on floppy saved by my XP pc.
    >> Should
    >> | it be able to?

Windows 98 Laptops Floppy Disk Microsoft Windows XP