SP 2 - computer won't boot

September 28, 2004 9:33:32 PM

My friend installed SP2 on a windows home edition of XP on a HP computer.
Messed things up and tried to restore to an earlier point before the
installation. Stopped and wouldn't reboot. Can get into safe mode but
won't go further - just "safe mode" in the four corners. Her HP computer
didn't come with a boot up disk or a windows disk. Any ideas on how to get
her computer to boot? Thanks

More about : computer boot

Anonymous
September 28, 2004 9:44:15 PM

HP Pavilion PCs have a hidden partition containing
Windows XP reinstallation files.

At this point, I would recommend performing a standard,
non-destructive recovery:

Compaq Presario Desktop PCs - How to Perform a System Recovery
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/famiDocument?product...

Afterward, reinstall SP2.

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Important Information for Upgrading
to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?dlc=...

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"whitebluff" wrote:

| My friend installed SP2 on a windows home edition of XP on a HP computer.
| Messed things up and tried to restore to an earlier point before the
| installation. Stopped and wouldn't reboot. Can get into safe mode but
| won't go further - just "safe mode" in the four corners. Her HP computer
| didn't come with a boot up disk or a windows disk. Any ideas on how to get
| her computer to boot? Thanks
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 9:47:57 PM

Correction to previous post:

HP Pavilions that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do
not come with recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden
space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery
information.

Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
recovery operation.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
September 29, 2004 1:33:06 AM

Update on non-destructive recovery - After about 1/2 hour into recovery,
system screen turns black and only shows the mouse arrow. Doesn't seem to
reboot. Would you have any idea on what action for her to take after this
happens? Thanks again. Before starting all this, she thought she had
uninstalled SP 2 and then used a restore point prior to installing SP2.
That is when the system stopped during the reboot.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 12:40:37 PM

If you have successfully used system restore to a
previous configuration, you may consider using the XP cd
your system shipped with, and running the emergency
repair, or recovery console.

Anonymous
September 29, 2004 12:57:13 PM

It looks as if you are in a situation where you need to start all over with
a clean partition. To do this youl need to format the partition where WINXP
is installed (presumeably C:)  then run the HP reinstall from the hidden
partition. The HP reinstall utility should give you the option to format
the partition but you will lose all the data and programs installed on that
partition. I think, from what you have posted, this is your only option.

"whitebluff" <klmiller@olemac.net> wrote in message
news:o yPpqycpEHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Update on non-destructive recovery - After about 1/2 hour into recovery,
> system screen turns black and only shows the mouse arrow. Doesn't seem to
> reboot. Would you have any idea on what action for her to take after this
> happens? Thanks again. Before starting all this, she thought she had
> uninstalled SP 2 and then used a restore point prior to installing SP2.
> That is when the system stopped during the reboot.

Anonymous
September 30, 2004 12:04:16 AM

Did you follow all HP's "pre SP2 installations" recommendations and update
the "software & drivers" (particularly the update to "Restore") before
installing SP2? If not you may find Restore won't work because of this.
Go to http://welcome.hp.com/country/uk/en/support.html to find more info and
where/how to update those items relevant to the particular HP product (eg
Pavilion or Compaq)
A search the HP web-page may help anyway.
Sorry I can't be more positive.

"Jenifer D. Scot" <jenifer_scot@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you have successfully used system restore to a
> previous configuration, you may consider using the XP cd
> your system shipped with, and running the emergency
> repair, or recovery console.

Anonymous
September 30, 2004 12:04:17 AM

Thanks - she said she updated everything but who knows. Also this computer
didn't come with a CD - it is an HP. She has been on the phone with them
and they can't help either. She has gotten as far as the Windows XP Logo,
music and goes through the setup until it says go to the internet (which she
doesn't have). She clicks finish and it goes to a blank screen with only
the mouse arrow. I had her use control, alt and delete to see if the task
manager would come up and that didn't work. Still can't get to the start
menu or desktop.
!