SP 2 - computer won't boot

My friend installed SP2 on a windows home edition of XP on a HP computer.
Messed things up and tried to restore to an earlier point before the
installation. Stopped and wouldn't reboot. Can get into safe mode but
won't go further - just "safe mode" in the four corners. Her HP computer
didn't come with a boot up disk or a windows disk. Any ideas on how to get
her computer to boot? Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about computer boot

    HP Pavilion PCs have a hidden partition containing
    Windows XP reinstallation files.

    At this point, I would recommend performing a standard,
    non-destructive recovery:

    Compaq Presario Desktop PCs - How to Perform a System Recovery
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/famiDocument?product=89327&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00007689

    Afterward, reinstall SP2.

    HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Important Information for Upgrading
    to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00218731&lang=en&cc=us

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "whitebluff" wrote:

    | My friend installed SP2 on a windows home edition of XP on a HP computer.
    | Messed things up and tried to restore to an earlier point before the
    | installation. Stopped and wouldn't reboot. Can get into safe mode but
    | won't go further - just "safe mode" in the four corners. Her HP computer
    | didn't come with a boot up disk or a windows disk. Any ideas on how to get
    | her computer to boot? Thanks

    Correction to previous post:

    HP Pavilions that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do
    not come with recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden
    space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery
    information.

    Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
    the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
    recovery operation.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    Update on non-destructive recovery - After about 1/2 hour into recovery,
    system screen turns black and only shows the mouse arrow. Doesn't seem to
    reboot. Would you have any idea on what action for her to take after this
    happens? Thanks again. Before starting all this, she thought she had
    uninstalled SP 2 and then used a restore point prior to installing SP2.
    That is when the system stopped during the reboot.

    If you have successfully used system restore to a
    previous configuration, you may consider using the XP cd
    your system shipped with, and running the emergency
    repair, or recovery console.

    It looks as if you are in a situation where you need to start all over with
    a clean partition. To do this youl need to format the partition where WINXP
    is installed (presumeably C:) then run the HP reinstall from the hidden
    partition. The HP reinstall utility should give you the option to format
    the partition but you will lose all the data and programs installed on that
    partition. I think, from what you have posted, this is your only option.

    "whitebluff" <klmiller@olemac.net> wrote in message
    > Update on non-destructive recovery - After about 1/2 hour into recovery,
    > system screen turns black and only shows the mouse arrow. Doesn't seem to
    > reboot. Would you have any idea on what action for her to take after this
    > happens? Thanks again. Before starting all this, she thought she had
    > uninstalled SP 2 and then used a restore point prior to installing SP2.
    > That is when the system stopped during the reboot.

    Did you follow all HP's "pre SP2 installations" recommendations and update
    the "software & drivers" (particularly the update to "Restore") before
    installing SP2? If not you may find Restore won't work because of this.
    Go to http://welcome.hp.com/country/uk/en/support.html to find more info and
    where/how to update those items relevant to the particular HP product (eg
    Pavilion or Compaq)
    A search the HP web-page may help anyway.
    Sorry I can't be more positive.

    "Jenifer D. Scot" <jenifer_scot@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If you have successfully used system restore to a
    > previous configuration, you may consider using the XP cd
    > your system shipped with, and running the emergency
    > repair, or recovery console.

    Thanks - she said she updated everything but who knows. Also this computer
    didn't come with a CD - it is an HP. She has been on the phone with them
    and they can't help either. She has gotten as far as the Windows XP Logo,
    music and goes through the setup until it says go to the internet (which she
    doesn't have). She clicks finish and it goes to a blank screen with only
    the mouse arrow. I had her use control, alt and delete to see if the task
    manager would come up and that didn't work. Still can't get to the start
    menu or desktop.

Boot Computers Hewlett Packard Windows XP