Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Windows 2000 won't Boot after Installing XP : 2nd Request

Tags:
  • Windows 2000
  • Boot
  • Windows XP
September 28, 2004 7:43:17 PM

I have a Dell PII-400 which was running 3 versions of Windows 2000: SP4, Sp3
and SP2.

I recently Upgraded the SP4 W2000 to XP Pro. The first time I booted into
XP, I got a stop error with BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. A search
turned up article 283433 which told me to copy NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM
from \i386 on the XP CD, but this did not solve the issue, as I got another
stop error, but it went by too quickly for me to read it.

After a lot more searching, I re-installed XP over itself, and the XP
problem went away.

However, I now cannot boot into the Sp2 or Sp3 copies of Windows 2000.
When I try, I get the other message shown in 283433:
'
Windows 2000 could not start because the following is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.'

I checked NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM, and both are the correct XP versions. I
cannot find anything when I search for 'Windows 2000 won't boot after Installing
Windows XP', only article 283433, which is 'Windows XP won't boot after
installing
Windows 2000'.

In summary:

I have WinXPSP1, Win2000SP2, and Win2000SP3, all in separate partitions,
but only WinXP is accessible. Boot.ini is correct, and worked before the
Upgrade.

Has anyone a solution?

Thanks,

Britt Dickson

More about : windows 2000 boot installing 2nd request

Anonymous
September 29, 2004 12:35:56 PM

You may have to run one of your other 2000 cd disks, and
reestablish it's NTLDR to run in the XP NTLDR for
multiboot applications ( it repairs the link of NTLDR in
boot.ini)

Anonymous
September 29, 2004 8:39:18 PM

That is directly contrary to 283433, which says I need the XP NTLDR. ???