XP partitions....

Gunslinger

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003

I loaded XP on a 14 GB drive and somehow I partitioned it into a 2GB section
for the OS and I want to put it back to just a single 14GB. How do I do this?
HELP PLEASE!!

You can not do that with Windows native tools and preserve data.
To preserve data you need a 3rd party application:
http://www.bootitng.com/
http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"gunslinger" <gunslinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I loaded XP on a 14 GB drive and somehow I partitioned it into a 2GB
>section
> for the OS and I want to put it back to just a single 14GB. How do I
> do this?
> HELP PLEASE!!

Hi,

You have two choices:

1) A third party tool to redo the partitioning without destroying the
existing installations (though there are no guarantees against loss of
data).

Partitioning programs:

BootIT NG www.terabyteunlimited.com
Partition Magic www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic
Partition Commander http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html
Ranish Partition Manager http://www.ranish.com/part/

2) Start over. Boot the XP CD, and at setup delete the existing partitions.
Create one new one from the free space, then format and start the
installation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"gunslinger" <gunslinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I loaded XP on a 14 GB drive and somehow I partitioned it into a 2GB
>section
> for the OS and I want to put it back to just a single 14GB. How do I do
> this?
> HELP PLEASE!!

Unless you have a commercial application ( EX:
Partition/Boot Magic) you will not be able to change the
partition scheme without reinstallation of the operating
system.