Compaq desktop with ext power supply

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

I am looking for a really quiet PC and am told that the old "compact" EVOs
were quiet. Is this true?

I believe therewas also a HP or COMPAQ DESKTOP PC that had an EXTERNAL power
supply (almost like a notebook) - does anyone know the model name of that
one?

Thanks.

Were there any problems with those units?

--
John M
email: jrg-rem-spam@bigpond.net.au

---------
1 answer Last reply
More about compaq desktop power supply
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    "JM7" <b@compuserve.com> wrote in message
    > I am looking for a really quiet PC and am told that the old "compact" EVOs
    > were quiet. Is this true?
    >
    > I believe therewas also a HP or COMPAQ DESKTOP PC that had an EXTERNAL power
    > supply (almost like a notebook) - does anyone know the model name of that
    > one?

    You are probably thinking of the eVectra like this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51119&item=5102138997.
    I have not used them but the guy in the cubicle next to me has several he buys
    off eBay for $100 or less.

    The main issue with these is expandability. I do not believe you can add
    anything beyond memory inside the box. It is probably possible to upgrade to a
    larger hard drive, but for the most part what you buy is what you get.

    Regards,

Hewlett Packard Power Supplies Desktops Compaq Computers