Signal Strength on Deck

Scott

My Linksys wireless system works great around the house.
No problem in the kitchen. When I sit on the deck about
20 feet away, Netscape is often slow (or unable to load
a page) on an encrypted site (on-line banking, etc). IE6,
however, opens these sites with no problem. Link quality
is 97%....signal strength is 57%. Is this a range problem?

Would an extended antenna for the router (11" long
instead of 6") for $69.99 solve the problem?

Thanks!
Scott

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> My Linksys wireless system works great around the house.
> No problem in the kitchen. When I sit on the deck about
> 20 feet away, Netscape is often slow (or unable to load
> a page) on an encrypted site (on-line banking, etc). IE6,
> however, opens these sites with no problem. Link quality
> is 97%....signal strength is 57%. Is this a range problem?
>
> Would an extended antenna for the router (11" long
> instead of 6") for $69.99 solve the problem?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Sure sounds like interference. Try another channel on your Access Point.

--
Bob Alston

---

> 20 feet away, Netscape is often slow (or unable to load
> a page) on an encrypted site (on-line banking, etc). IE6,
> however, opens these sites with no problem. Link quality
> is 97%....signal strength is 57%. Is this a range problem?

Encryption and which program you use shouldn't make any difference, so
my money would be on "your bank's support for Netscape is less than
stellar".

Stefan

PS: it's very easy to make a web-site that works with any browser, but for
some reason people insist on wasting their time trying to make it work
a tiny bit better on IE6-with-800x600 even tho it makes it work worse
(or not at all) on everything else.

Scott

Update:

I tried Linksys's extended (11") antenna for this model router,
and it didn't help a bit. Signal strength on the deck remains
in the 50% range....and downloading is inconsistent. Could
there be something else going on here. The wireless notebook
works excellent elsewhere in the house...with signal strength
around 69%.

Scott

Scott wrote:

> My Linksys wireless system works great around the house.
> No problem in the kitchen. When I sit on the deck about
> 20 feet away, Netscape is often slow (or unable to load
> a page) on an encrypted site (on-line banking, etc). IE6,
> however, opens these sites with no problem. Link quality
> is 97%....signal strength is 57%. Is this a range problem?
>
> Would an extended antenna for the router (11" long
> instead of 6") for $69.99 solve the problem?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Scott

My notebook (used on the deck) has an SMCC2435W
11/22 mbps wireless card. Would I likely see an improvement
in response and singnal strength by using a Linksys wireless
notebook card?

Thanks!
Scott

Scott wrote:

> My Linksys wireless system works great around the house.
> No problem in the kitchen. When I sit on the deck about
> 20 feet away, Netscape is often slow (or unable to load
> a page) on an encrypted site (on-line banking, etc). IE6,
> however, opens these sites with no problem. Link quality
> is 97%....signal strength is 57%. Is this a range problem?
>
> Would an extended antenna for the router (11" long
> instead of 6") for $69.99 solve the problem?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
> My notebook (used on the deck) has an SMCC2435W
> 11/22 mbps wireless card. Would I likely see an improvement
> in response and singnal strength by using a Linksys wireless
> notebook card?

I did some difference between the SMC2435W and an Orinoco card, but not a
lot. You should try a reflector on your WAP before buying a different
card.

http://www.freeantennas.com EZ-10

You will not see a difference just by matching vendors.

---