FishFighterNS

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Hi folks. I'm hoping you can help me out with this one. I just purchased a P4PE motherboard. P4 2.53 processor. 256 Samsung PC2700. After a clean full install of Windows XP every thing looks fine. When I run the Intel Chipset INF Update Program, it completes OK. When I reboot, the graphics are corrupted in Windows (not the bios). Alternating line of graphics and black lines (vertical). The lines are about 1/2 inch wide. The system fails to fully boot. It hangs on the Windows XP Startup screen. I can boot into safe mode, but the graphic corruption remains. I flashed to the latest bios (1002) but received the same results. I tried reinstalling windows but the corruption remains and the install doesn't complete. I have to wipe the drive and fully install windows again. If I roll back the '845 Processor to AGP' driver, it returns to a PCI to PCI bridge. The corruption clears up, but but my card is now in PCI mode. The XFX Ti4200 video card works correctly in my other WinXP computer. Another AGP card (GF2) has the same problems. I have tried several different video drivers and all have the same problem. All extra onboard functions are disabled (Raid, USB, Audio, 1394, Lan). No extra cards installled.
I e-mailed Asus a few days ago but no response. I haven't delt with them before so I don't know how keen their tech supp is. Has anyone seen this problem before? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh boy! OK first things first: Microsoft is not to be trusted. An "update" to the basic install can cause problems sometimes. Now as for the Intel driver: usually top notch, Intel spends a LONG time developing drivers to avoid problems, which is why they take so long to update them. nVidia on the other hand considers you to be a Beta tester, if an update make 90% of the systems faster and 10% crash, the update gets published as an official driver. Ignore what I just said if you're using MS supplied drivers, then you'd be back to square one...MS!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

FishFighterNS

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Thanks for the thoughts, Crashman. I am presently using the default MS vid drivers, but your reply reminded me that I could try checking with Intel for newer chipset drivers. They had them. I applied them. Same problem. Oh well. I sent their tech supp an e-mail also. Maybe they have some insight. Still no word from Asus.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I see similar problems caused by heat on the video card, but that shouldn't affect a card at stock speed.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>