Sign in with
Your question

what does Recommended Requirements mean?

Last response: in Video Games
March 9, 2008 10:02:53 AM

so ive been lookin up assassins creed for PC.
when they say recommended requirements, does that mean with that set of hardware, i should be able to run the game at max res, detail, full AA and everything?

thanks.
March 9, 2008 10:13:41 AM

usually recommended requirements are what are needed in order to play it with decent graphical settings, but nowhere near maxed out.

Minimum is what is needed in order to run it bare bones or slightly higher.

Usually if you are looking to max out the graphical settings on any recent game you need a pretty high end rig.

Note: When Microsoft lists minimum and recommended for their operating systems, the recommended settings are required to run the OS and anything else at all. With Minimum you might be able to handle paint and notepad ;-).
March 9, 2008 11:45:47 AM

ah... i see...
quite dissapointing to find out that my 8800 gt oc2 is apparently the recommended setting for assassins creed........ this totally blows!
Related resources
March 9, 2008 12:03:04 PM

Well, I was working in generalities. There is no hard and fast rule. I have no idea where Assassin's Creed stands on the PC and what is required to max it out.

If the recommended reqs are so high, maybe they are for the max settings.

Good luck with it.
March 9, 2008 4:06:58 PM

Quote:
IMO, recommended is the actual minimum, minimum are just plain old lies.

always shoot for above the recommended.

Word.
March 9, 2008 4:29:59 PM

agreed with strangestranger.
March 9, 2008 7:58:06 PM

mm i see, thanks for that.
i guess i was way off with thinking recommended meant max res haha.
darn... so 8800 gt oc is freakin minimulm eh? assasins creed... i hope it doesnt dissapoint me.
March 9, 2008 9:20:19 PM

really? assasin's creed is THAT taxing?
basically, what strange is saying is that the way it used to be, game's miminmum settings were what was neccesary to run it with a smooth framerate, people still got it to run - but nowadays they just give u the actual minimum, and god help you if you are below that
March 10, 2008 12:30:19 PM

Quote:
usually recommended requirements are what are needed in order to play it with decent graphical settings, but nowhere near maxed out.

My take would be recommended requirements mean what you need in order to experience the game in it full glory, meaning all on high settings.

Minimum would mean you can play, but on low, and your not going to see much for eye candy.
March 10, 2008 4:51:22 PM

Minimum for Crysis is a athlon 2800+ and a radeon 9800 pro.

INDEED!
March 10, 2008 10:00:45 PM

ah... troublesome indeed.
well... we'll see soon enough. i plan to grab the game as soon as its out. ill make another post then, keep ur eyes open =)
March 11, 2008 3:21:14 AM

Yeah, minimum typically means playable but not smooth at 800x600 low. Recommended or above is the way to go, should mean fairly smooth at 12x10 medium anway.
March 11, 2008 8:27:11 PM

Haha...looks like Crysis changed the whole standard in regards to requirement.

Before Crysis, minimum was what the company would support and the Recommended requirements were what was needed to enjoy most features of the game.

If you need a 8800GT to "enjoy" Assasins Creed then they better provide "enjoyable" features along with the game. Crysis doesn't even have that requirement!
March 12, 2008 2:07:03 AM

yep, apparently the requirements for assassins creed blow out crysis's requirements. i think some other recommendations are like 3 gigs of ram and top dual core or quadcore or something like that. its just insane now. i guess the delay for assassins creed on pc was neccessary... i just might have to get a new graphics card dam.... not in the mood to..
March 12, 2008 6:04:47 AM

Those are steep requirements. Will the game be that impressive, or Is this game going to be a terrible port with limited detail settings? Test drive unlimited was rediculous that way. Low, Med, high were the only system (graphics) settings and even low required a pretty hefty CPU for that time period.
March 12, 2008 3:57:01 PM

I agree recommended requirements should really be called 'minimum' requirements as playing most games at the 'minimum' posted specs is a joke most of the time.

The key factors here would be your gaming resolution, there's a massive difference between 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 for instance.

With an 8800gt listed as the recommended, I can't see them being too conservative though, as you really cant ask people to have a better card than that.

I doubt the game will have any problems running on a system with an 8800gt and 2gigs of ram. If it does then the graphics are just not optimized correctly for the PC (ie straight port from console).
!