Help with Memory Usage Spiking

Greytop

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Every so often my memory usage goes to 100 % and I don't know what is
causing it. I know it is probably a program of some sort but which one
is the question?
When it spikes the mouse cursor floats across the screen like it has a
mind of it's own. I lose control of the computer for a few seconds at
this point. I have looked at all the running processes and I can't
determine which it is. In the programs running area I only see the
explorer and one note that are running.
Ant insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any way to copy the services area to a file or printer so
that it might be posted for a look see?

Depending on the "every so often" is,microsoft suggests,going to run,type:
Msconfig,services,chk the box-hide all microsoft services,then disable all,
close-out,restart computer.Back on desktop,if the spikes are gone,this rules
out a windows issue,if still present,enable one at a time till you locate the
problem service,then re-enable all in Msconfig.You might chk event viewer
also.

"GreyTop" wrote:

> Every so often my memory usage goes to 100 % and I don't know what is
> causing it. I know it is probably a program of some sort but which one
> is the question?
> When it spikes the mouse cursor floats across the screen like it has a
> mind of it's own. I lose control of the computer for a few seconds at
> this point. I have looked at all the running processes and I can't
> determine which it is. In the programs running area I only see the
> explorer and one note that are running.
> Ant insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Is there any way to copy the services area to a file or printer so
> that it might be posted for a look see?

How many open programs at boot up are you running (
system tray icons at the lower right hand portion of your
desktop next to the clock)? If there are over 5 that is
too many and you are using too much memory. Try closing
some of those applications ( then retweak your virtual
memory settings: resize the swap file, or paging file
which ever terminology you wish to associate it with). A
swap file over 2 GB is too big.

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:36:27 -0700, GreyTop <GreyTop@military.com>
wrote:

>>>Every so often my memory usage goes to 100 % and I don't know what is
>>>causing it. I know it is probably a program of some sort but which one
>>>is the question?
>>>When it spikes the mouse cursor floats across the screen like it has a
>>>mind of it's own. I lose control of the computer for a few seconds at
>>>this point. I have looked at all the running processes and I can't
>>>determine which it is. In the programs running area I only see the
>>>explorer and one note that are running.
>>>Ant insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>>Is there any way to copy the services area to a file or printer so
>>>that it might be posted for a look see?

I had somewhat similar problems. When it was happening, my available
memory would shrink too, along with on and off 100% CPU usage. I use
a program called mem turbo, and I would watch available memory
disappear at a regular pace until mem turbo would scrub and resore it.
Then the pattern would repeat itself again.

I had just installed WinBoost Gold, which is a tweaking program for
XP, and considering my machine hadn't exhibited this behavior before I
did some tweaks, it seemed logical that somehow this proggie was the
prob. I undid all the tweaks except for some very basic ones, rebooted
and problem gone. Might this be similar to your problem?

Sleepy
_____________________________________
Invading Iraq in response to 9/11,
is comparable to invading New Guinea
_____________________________________

Since SP2, once in a while my mouse will start moving to the left, little
by little. It might take 20 seconds to move an inch. This is no big
deal, as I can just grab it and click or something and it stops. But
still, something is happening.. I wonder what is going on with the CPU
when this happens too. ..

-----------------------------
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:36:27 -0700, GreyTop <GreyTop@military.com> wrote:
>Every so often my memory usage goes to 100 % and I don't know what is
>causing it. I know it is probably a program of some sort but which one
>is the question?
>When it spikes the mouse cursor floats across the screen like it has a
>mind of it's own. I lose control of the computer for a few seconds at
>this point. I have looked at all the running processes and I can't
>determine which it is. In the programs running area I only see the
>explorer and one note that are running.
>Ant insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Is there any way to copy the services area to a file or printer so
>that it might be posted for a look see?

...D.

Greytop

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

I have found the problem I think. I had a Trojan that I picked up some
where dated 9/25/04.
I have Norton products on my computer and they did not catch it
neither did Spy Sweeper. I tried Pest Patrol and it caught it and
deleted it. All seems to be fine now. Will know in a day or two.
Thanks to all for the help It was a matter of elimination painful as
it was.