IBM wifi card in non-IBM machines

My IBM Thinkpad has the IBM 802.11a/b/g mini-PCI adapter, part number
31P9701. I'm very happy with this card, and am thinking of buying one
for my wife's Toshiba Satellite laptop which has a spare mini-PCI slot
with the two main, aux antenna cables trailing into it. Does anyone
know if the IBM tri-mode card will work in non-IBM laptops? Also, will
the IBM driver software work, or do I need to get some other software?

I tried my card in her machine, but it doesn't seem to work. Windows
XP recognises it as a IBM 11a/b/g card but any source of drivers I try
has me ending up with a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" message.
The chosen driver is always an Arcadyan Technology Corporation one,
version 3.1.1.5401, from AR5211.SYS, a filename that slightly bothers
me given that the card is 5212-based, not 5211. But, probably I should
be able to get this card to work?

-- Mark

BigJim

I put a dlink in a dell so my guess it that it should work.
I have connected to Linksys and other routers with it.
"Mark Carroll" <markc@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
> My IBM Thinkpad has the IBM 802.11a/b/g mini-PCI adapter, part number
> 31P9701. I'm very happy with this card, and am thinking of buying one
> for my wife's Toshiba Satellite laptop which has a spare mini-PCI slot
> with the two main, aux antenna cables trailing into it. Does anyone
> know if the IBM tri-mode card will work in non-IBM laptops? Also, will
> the IBM driver software work, or do I need to get some other software?
>
> I tried my card in her machine, but it doesn't seem to work. Windows
> XP recognises it as a IBM 11a/b/g card but any source of drivers I try
> has me ending up with a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" message.
> The chosen driver is always an Arcadyan Technology Corporation one,
> version 3.1.1.5401, from AR5211.SYS, a filename that slightly bothers
> me given that the card is 5212-based, not 5211. But, probably I should
> be able to get this card to work?
>
> -- Mark

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Did you try the IBM driver from the IBM site? Can you identify the chipset?
Maybe there's another generic driver for a card using the same chip.

In article <4y7Uc.9$Bm5.3@bignews1.bellsouth.net>, John <Me@myhome.net> wrote:
>Did you try the IBM driver from the IBM site?

Yes.

>Can you identify the chipset?

Atheros 5212.

>Maybe there's another generic driver for a card using the same chip.

Alas, not one yet that I've gotten working, although I'm still looking
- quite a few cards have it.

-- Mark