Asus A7N8X and other questions

G

Hi, last year I built myself a computer and was very pleased with it. This year I am building my brother a computer but I haven't been keeping up with all the new information. I was looking at the latest AMD boards (the computer will be amd)and i noticed the Asus A7N8X performed the best out of all of them, but I was confused on a couple things. ONe thine was the "dual" ddr. Is this just DDR400? Also with the Asus A7N8X, the article said something about double channel mode, I'm not sure I quite understand that and if you need to run 2 dimms at once to use it, and I'd like someone to explain that to me. Also I was wondering if this mother board has raid. I don't see any mention of it on the article, and it appears it doesn't. Did they do away with raid since I built my computer? Also one last question is about the differences between the nforce and the nforce2, I haven't really been reading up on that and i'm not sure what the nforce is.

Also one last question is off this topic, but i figured that since i was asking some questions I might as well put it in here, but I was wondering what was the quietest cpu heatsink/fan that would cool a xp 2400+ well. The only thing that i was dissapointed in with building my computer was that it was loud and cooled bad.

My parents warned me to wear earplugs when shooting a rifle, but never using my computer.

andlcs

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
nForce is the new AMD chipset from nVidia.
With 2 DIMMs in this MOBO you will doble the bandwidth, that is Doble channel or dual DDR and you can use PC1600, PC2100, PC2700 and PC3200 modules.

G

Thanks for clearing that up, i wasn't sure if you had to use dual channel to use ddr400 or not. But i do have another question now, I've been looking at some other boards, and i've noticed that some of them support Serial ATA, whats the difference between serial ata and normal ata?

My parents warned me to wear earplugs when shooting a rifle, but never using my computer.