Second Opinion: Sins of a Solar Empire

Tags:
  • Multiplayer
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
March 10, 2008 2:30:42 PM

Review written by Ryan Lord.

Tom's Games takes another look at Ironclad's "4X" strategy game Sins of a Solar Empire, which puts players in the midst of an inter-planetary conflict. This time, we examine Sins' multiplayer features.

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/03/10/secondoppinion_solarempire/

More about : opinion sins solar empire

March 10, 2008 10:27:20 PM

This game fills a gap of space RTS!
the sequel of this game can be one of the best Space games ever.
until them i enjoy it very mush and it is a must play all the way!!!
some times i am have been almost overvelmed with an atack and pirate atack cames and saves me because they are easier to beat:) 
i love games played in space but even more i enjoy good games and this is one of those youre happy to have played
March 11, 2008 10:01:43 AM

I find it a bit lacking and too simple in the planet development department. And the space battles after playing Homeworld felt somewhat limited (no formations, no Z plane...). Also a few rough spots here and there.

Overall, is a very good game, but lacking too much in some critical areas for my own taste. I suppose playing too much Master of Orion 2 and Homeworld made me too demanding...
March 11, 2008 5:12:43 PM

after reading the previous review i went out and bought the game, I have since enjoyed it very much, almost stayed up all night the one time trying to finish off an ai, but very long, time consuming.
March 13, 2008 5:55:07 PM

Why did you guys not talk about piracy this time? This game kills your piracy arguments completely. I don't think it was fair to just ignore the fact they have no DRM when in every article you have published in the last few weeks has been pushing the idea that piracy kills sales. The truth is piracy can boost sales if the companies are willing to put on a nice customer service face, and quite hiding.

There is so much more to this argument, and you refuse to look at it from a more sophisticated angle. If you want to talk about it so often, I think its only fair to go into some depth!

And about the game: I think you could have been more critical of how large fleet battles play out. It might be that I just suck, but I find the games are very one sided, every time. Theres no real way to recover once someone starts kicking your ass. I guess thats normal though. It just feels like once your behind a bit, you just stay behind for a couple hours.

March 13, 2008 6:42:46 PM

odg said:
Why did you guys not talk about piracy this time? This game kills your piracy arguments completely. I don't think it was fair to just ignore the fact they have no DRM when in every article you have published in the last few weeks has been pushing the idea that piracy kills sales. The truth is piracy can boost sales if the companies are willing to put on a nice customer service face, and quite hiding.

There is so much more to this argument, and you refuse to look at it from a more sophisticated angle. If you want to talk about it so often, I think its only fair to go into some depth!

And about the game: I think you could have been more critical of how large fleet battles play out. It might be that I just suck, but I find the games are very one sided, every time. Theres no real way to recover once someone starts kicking your ass. I guess thats normal though. It just feels like once your behind a bit, you just stay behind for a couple hours.

First of all, I'm not sure how piracy factors into
Quote:
what an individual reviewer here at Tom's Games thinks about a particular title. Hence, the fact that Sins has no DRM is not more important for the review than the fact that BioShock had oppressive DRM. We review the content, not how the game is distributed.

Second, the author of this review, Ryan Lord, has his own views on software piracy that, in fact, are almost the exact opposite of my opinion on the matter. You can read what Ryan thinks of Iron Lore, etc., on that discussion thread. Not everyone at Tom's Games or Tom's Hardware shares my view on PC game piracy; in fact, I'm not sure anyone really does.

Third, my view isn't that "piracy kills sales." My view is that piracy is harmful to the PC gaming industry. I don't want to get to sophisticated here, but in a nutshell: PC game piracy leads to DRM, DRM pisses customers off and leads to more pirating, then the DRM gets worse and creates a vicious cycle, meanwhile smaller, independent game developers get scared away of losing a major percentage of their sales to pirates and decide to move to the consoles, which is a bigger and safer market here in the U.S.

Fourth, I don't think the success of Sins renders obselete my argument for PC game piracy being harmful. It's one game. And I'm thrilled that it's done so well, considering it wasn't really hyped at all and has sold almost 200,000 copies worldwide on merit rather than marketing. And I really disagree, either, with Stardock's approach with this game, i.e., make an excellent game designed for PC gaming fans (RTS) with no intrusive copy protection software (instead, because it's a multiplayer game, just keep an eye out for pirated copies on the servers) and provide some type of value-add after the fact to encourage people to pay for the game. Great strategy. But look at the torrents out there. Sins could have been an even bigger hit. Yet a lot of gamers out there chose to reward Stardock for making a great game with no copy protection by pirating the thing thousands of times. And you can't tell me that most of those people eventually decided to pay for a genuine copy of the game.

In closing, here's a little nugget from Stardock's recent forum post on piracy:
In the end, the pirates hurt themselves. PC game developers will either slowly migrate to making games that cater to the people who buy PC games or they'll move to platforms where people are more inclined to buy games.
March 13, 2008 6:50:14 PM

lol sorry I managed to troll you a bit there damn :) 

But the point is: people on PC DO buy tons of games, so I dont understand how its at all in any way a problem. the market is HUGE. I mean, where are these "declining" numbers coming from. They only show decline in relation to other growing markets, but year after year they go up?

I don't think many pirates would actually buy the games they download.

Do you buy movies you rent?

March 14, 2008 10:27:32 AM

I DO think that the fact that the game comes with no DRM IS relevent to discussion on whether it is worth buying.

For me, that fact alone encourages me to buy a game I might have otherwise been lukewarm about, first because I want to encourage that behavior in developers, and second because I can be sure that DRM won't inhibit my enjoyment of the game.

That said... Yes, this game is great. If you haven't tried it yet, definitely do so. It is cheaper than most new games and a lot of fun. My only complaint with it really is that it needs a single player campaign "story" mode.
!