Console or PC gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fraggelrock

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
I haven't been around for a while (had to focus on girl and school), but now I am thinking of getting back in PC gaming.

I was chatting with some friends/people, and there general feeling was that console is better than PC Gaming cuz:

1) Cheeper - console = $300-600 - a really good PC Graphics Card can cost that much. Also, everytime a new PC game comes out - you gotta upgrade the graphics card and maybe other things, which makes it more expensive.

2) Can use a keyboard and mouse with some of the consoles, and most PC games have a console version.

3) Consoles are easier to learn and use, and not as scary as learning a PC game.

4) Consoles are in living rooms and more family oriented

Now, I don't agree with all these point, but some of them I do feel are real with some people.

Also, it seems like PC gaming doesn't seem to be as popular as it did a year or 2 ago.

Anyways, now it is off to see about a new graphics card...

PhobetorXVII

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
consoles sucks the consoles controller for fps and rts games are bad they good only for fighting games the pc is much more better also for pc you dont have to buy games you can get games in other ways for consoles its a problem and you also sayed that concoles are in living rooms and more family orianted tahts exacly what i dont like i dont know what about you but i like to play when im alone and none is going around me and bothering me overall i like the pc much more then the kiddy consoles

mi1ez

Splendid
I like punctuation!

I think it depends what you play. I prefer racing games, and as Phobetor said, beat 'em ups, on a console. However for your FPS and RTS, nothing beats a mouse and keyboard situation.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
It depends on the type of games you like. If you like FPS, MMORPGs, RTS, and flight sims get a PC. There is nothing on the console that can compare to a PC shooter. Sure you can use a mouse and keyboard, but they still tweak the console version with very large hitboxes and slowed down game speed to compensate for a thumbpad controller. Play UT3 on the PS3 and the PC, the PC version is MUCH faster, and MUCH harder.

If you like sports, action, fighting, RPG, etc. a console is right for you.

foxc

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Also, it's worth noting that you don't have to upgrade components all the time to play the latest games. Depending on your budget you can get a system that will last a little longer. Yes, consoles never get upgraded, but you are limited as to what your games can do by the unchanging hardware.

On a PC things can grow and develop and you can see that happening as new games come out. You may think a console comes cheaper but then think about the fact they release a new one every so often so you'll be upgrading anyways. I like different games on different systems, as has been mentioned, FPS, RTS, MMO I'll take a PC over anything. However, racing and sports I'll take my 360 and Wii, is Mass Effect was on a PC I'd be happy, but sitting in the living room addicted to it is my one console vice atm.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I disagree with crom on something though, I believe RPGs are better on PCs too (See Oblivion, Witcher). I got into PC gaming about 2 years ago like you did and I'm not planning letting it go anytime soon. Also those myths that you have to buy hardware every time a game is released and that a PC is more expensive that console gaming are simply not true.

This PC costed me around $800 (system alone) when I built, however I've been pouring money into it but not into graphics card, just in peripherals and random treats that I want for myself (Sound card, 5.1 speakers, LCD screen, Antec Nine Hundred case, new mouse, new keyboard, extra cooling etc...) these are things that are simply not necessary, but I was just treating myself to them.

I bought this 8800GTS 320MB back on release and still running games on max on my native resolution just fine, if you want bigger badder monitor you also have to expect to drop settings/buy bigger badder cards. The only game that was giving me issues running was Crysis at max, however a simple overclock took care of that giving me GTX-like performance. I'm planning to keep this for at least another year, just because I want to be on top of my game again with GF10k/HD 5k and Nehalem, not because I will have the need to upgrade.

A decent PC will cost you anywhere between $450-900 and will be able to play anything you throw at it, plus you'll be able to use it as a PC aswell. However if you buy a console $400-500 you will also have the need to buy a PC as basic as it might be for around that much, increasing the cost to around $800-1000 depending what you buy. On top of that you have to factor in that every console game is between $10 to 20 more expensive than their PC counterparts, and if you have a need to play those games that play better on the console (Fighting, racing, etc), you can just buy an X360 Controller for $25-30 and use it on your PC.

Example of a cheap (and good) gaming PC:

-XFX 8800GS $150 ($120 after rebate):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150275

-Intel C2D E4500 $120:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115031

-Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L $90:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059

-Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 2GB $65 ($30 after rebate):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

-Corsair VX 450W $80 ($70 after rebate):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

Total: $505 ($430 after rebates)

This system is perfectly overclockable on all its parts if you happen to need the extra performance oomph in the future, plus you can always drop in a few years a new graphics card to keep it working just fine.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
PC is actually cheaper, look at emp post, ok so 430quid is a bit of money double than the xbox...

but then work out the price of the games, xbox games are 50quid whereas pc games are more like 20.

$300 x 5games at 50 =$550 for xbox
$430 x 5games at 20 = $530 for pc

so in summary the more games you buy and play the cheaper the PC gets, and when that $300 GFX card comes up, well if your saving $30 dollars a game compared to the xbox, you can buy a new gfx every 10 games, thats if you want to spend the same amount of money as a console gamer.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
mods are also an important component of pc gaming. I've literally doubled the value of certain pc games by downloading and playing mods. Plus, pc games are generally $10 USD cheaper at release. Over a few years, if you purchase enough new games, this could translate to several hundred dollars. Also, to get console games looking good, you need to invest in a good tv, which can easily make your console expenses MUCH greater.

You already have a computer right? More than likely with ~$300 worth of enhancements and upgrades, your system will be more than capable of handling all the latest games, crysis included. Playing games at completely maxed out settings is where the absurd costs come in, but there is still lots of enjoyment to be had otherwise. Add to that the mods and tweaking that can be involved with pc games, and the sheer number of games available to you and you've got what is in my opinion the best gaming platform.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Love your name fraggelrock! Anyways, you are right...Consoles are easy to learn and all you have to do is plug it in the TV and you're set!

However, I highly recommend you get a PC. You know how easy it is to just plug your PC to the TV? Very!

You can also get a descent computer for the same price as a console.

The real trade off between consoles and PCs are simple. You'll have much more titles that are exclusive to the consoles. On the other hand, the games you'll be playing on the PC are going look much better = excellent visuals.

You also have the choice between network play on the PC and a split screen multiplayer on the consoles...obviously, I personally hate split screens. But its your call.

Chazwuzzer

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Was this post for real? Sounds like a reiteration of the usual litany.....

Anyhow, making the PC/console choice should be simple. Here's a list of statements - do they apply to you? Add them up and see where you stand. This list is by no means exhaustive.

1. I think that modern games are art, or at least have the potential to be:
Yes - PC.
No/Don't care - Console.

2. I like to use my brain when gaming sometimes:
Yes - PC.
No/Huh? - Console.

3. I am afraid of learning/trying new things:
Yes - Console.
No - PC.

4. I only want to kill some time on the couch with my buds:
Yes - Console.
No - PC.

5. I like a lot of content with my games:
Yes - Prolly PC.
No/Don't care - Console.

6. I like to use/make mods for my games:
Yes - PC.
Is that like the Hot Coffee Thing? - Console.

7. I really love Microsoft and Sony and think that they have my best interests in mind:
Yes/Whatever - Console
Cringe in Revulsion - PC.

8. Electrolytes are:
Salt: PC
What Plants Crave: Console.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Again, it's more a choice of what types of games you like to play. I didn't mean to insinuate that all console RPG's are better, Neverwinter Nights comes to mind on the PC, but the Final Fantasy games are very popular. I'm a diehard PC gamer, but I did just pick up a Wii and have a lot of fun with it.

I completely disagree with Flakes saying a gaming ready PC is cheaper than an Xbox, PS3, or Wii. You're going to be spending around 800 - 1k USD on a machine that can run modern games. The 360 is 350 bucks.

Consoles are also getting more PC like in terms of multiplayer, mods, and downloadable features. You can bake out mods in UT3 to run in the PS3 version. Xbox Live has been around for a while now to play games online with others, and on the Wii you can download games from older systems like the SNES, Neo Geo, Genesis, etc.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Did you read my post where I showed a perfectly fine gaming pc (at stock levels) with excellent overclock potential for $430 After rebates? Obviously that selective reading is quite helpful to make your point through.

The only possible edge that consoles might have over PCs (and this is actually a con to me, but to many people it might be a BIG plus) is the ease of use and plug n' playability. This is just something that doesn't happen with PCs, you have to tinker with them, find the problem, and fix it on your own, always learning new tricks, which is something I happen to enjoy.

The Xboxes I can find at newegg are ranging from $350 to $450 for the console, which is not a big saving in my opinion, especially considering the cost of games is usually a difference of $10-15 per game.

If you're not the computer oriented type of guy who can deal with problems now and then with drivers, crashes, general issues, then I would definitely suggest you get a console. But if you're like most of us here that like to tinker with our machines, like to have the best possible graphics (instead of console's graphics which are decent enough), and a better gaming experience overall, then I would suggest you get a PC.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

Word.

badbigs

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
it all depends on you. if you are happy playing a game with the pc or console well then good. good thing about it is we all enjoy playing games.

fraggelrock

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
Wow, great debate.

I think that a true gamer will find happiness with a PC or Console, or Both.

There are certain games I like on console better then PC and the opposite is true as well.

Emp - your cheep gaming systems looks like great specs for the price.

Any idea what it's 3dmark score might be?

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Don't rely on 3dmark to grade performance, it is a 2 year old outdated synthetic benchmark that will only give you a very general idea at best. Proof of that is that the HD 2900XT can only perform at the level of the old 8800GTS, but it's 3dmark scores are off the chart, even against the GTX/Ultra.

If you cannot find benchmarks for the 8800GS, then just so you have an idea, the performance is around HD 3850 512MB, sometimes it beats it, but it's very close.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I enjoy both console and PC games. I own an Xbox360 Elite (which recently red ringed, lol), a PS3, a Wii as well as a decent gaming rig. Each platform provides a unique experience, and I'd much rather get to enjoy them all than lie to myself about how great any single one is. To the PC defenders, is there anything coming to the PC this year as an exclusive? Starcraft 2 might be out this year, but is that it?

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007

You forgot software on the PC. Not to mention a monitor/keyboard/mouse/ etc. You'll hit the 700 - 800 mark once all those are added. Flame all you want, but PC gaming is a more expensive hobby than console gaming is.

139 for the OS (XP SP2)
200 for a monitor
20 -30 for Mouse/keyboard:
20 - 50 for a case
100 or more for a hard drive.

You get to over 800 now. Let's not forget most people don't know how or don't want the hassle of building their own machines.

The other limitation of PC gaming is the amount of games you can play. It's going to further dwindle in the next few years with a glut of them being ports from the console. If you like a particular niche, like FPS, stick with PC.

b3n

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
I have an xbox 360 and a quad core pc with 8800GT and I like em both. To be honest I probably play on the 360 more. It's generally less hassle.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005

you forgot the price of a good HD(not hd ready rubish) tv, 1k+

This argument is so old.....

(1) If all you want to do is play games, buy a Console

(2) If you want your machine to do a lot more than just game, (work, home theater, internet, video creation/editing, etc etc etc) then accept that a PC is proper tool for that job.

(3) This is NOT AT ALL an "Either/Or" question. If you can come up with the cash for a decent computer, then you clearly also have the cash to buy console too. Making the battle out to be only one or only the other is just asinine, IMHO.

Truck Pilot

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I believe most of the replies you would get here come with a built-in bias: This is a PC gaming forum, is it not? :) IMHO, however, a PC can give you the best gaming experience, if you're willing to invest a bit of dough.

I see now that we are in the "General Discussion" area. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.