i845pe vs granite bay vs sis648

incinerate

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Hello
I'm looking to buy a new system and I was hoping to get the opinions of some of the experts on this board. I'm going p4 2.4B, with an ATI Radeon 9700pro. The Sis 648 chipset fulfills all my needs since it has agp 8x, but I hear it's buggy, and i dont fully trust non-intel chipsets. The i845pe chipset is rock solid and overclocks very well, but it doesn't support agp 8x. The granite bay has everything but it's way too expensive.

I guess my question is this: I know agp8x offers no support now, but down the road, would it be an issue? When games and apps are more texture intensive. I dont plan on upgrading for anotehr 3 years at least, so I would like some longevity. Do you guys think agp8x will ever make an impact, and which motherboard would you suggest? I'm also on a pretty tight budget. THanks for your time guys.

Alex

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I would advice you to buy AXP 2400+ with a nForce2 mobo. This should be somewhat faster than P4 2.4B GHz + PC2700 DDR.

But if you want to stick with Intel anyway, I would advice to get the i845PE. It's the fastest P4 DDR chipset now, granite bay is slower than it. Recommended i845 mobo, ASUS P4PE

BTW, AGP 8X is completely useless now and this should be same for at least two years

Let us know <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25703#25703" target="_new"> What File compression format you use? </A>