Sign in with
Your question

XBOX 360 as Media Center Extender

Last response: in Video Games
March 11, 2008 11:04:47 AM

SO I bought a 360 yesterday, but I was really upset that MCX doesnt support DivX. You have to use the ugly Dashboard to play all your media files from your PC. What in the world was MS thinking not adding support to MCX for AVI.

I found this program called Transcode 360 that converts AVIs, etc to wmv on the fly and then streams that to the MCX. But you need to be able to access the 'right-click' menu on the extender device.

On the PC when you right click a video file, you get a menu with options. How can I get to that menu on the 360 if I'm only using the wireless controller?

Am I going to have to buy the media center universal remote for this?
March 14, 2008 7:08:42 PM

I'm not entirely sure what ure asking, byt all I did was plug my 360 into the router and the computer detected it. I told the 360 to connect to a windows media center pc and then got on the pc and did the same thing. The 360 displayed a number on the tv that I entered into the computer and everything works fine. I can use the 360 to access music and videos and stuff that are on my computer. The 360 uses the same windows media center program.
March 14, 2008 7:09:57 PM

I'm not entirely sure what ure asking, byt all I did was plug my 360 into the router and the computer detected it. I told the 360 to connect to a windows media center pc and then got on the pc and did the same thing. The 360 displayed a number on the tv that I entered into the computer and everything works fine. I can use the 360 to access music and videos and stuff that are on my computer. The 360 uses the same windows media center program.
Related resources
March 14, 2008 7:10:39 PM

That was really weird....
May 19, 2008 11:34:21 AM

i think installing the DivX codec might help! 360 is just another simple microsot machine :)  my one plays some of the DivX files! i think i need to modify certain things to make it elite!
May 19, 2008 2:55:36 PM

akelkar, I was in the same boat as you and did not have much luck with those media center plugins. I've just come to accept that I have no choice but to go to dashboard to watch DivX movies. As far as bringing up the right click menu, I believe if you push the X button it'll do the same thing. I would not recommend getting the 360 remote because the IR receiver on the console is very difficult to hit, and I've gone back to using the controller since buying the stupid remote.
May 19, 2008 5:37:35 PM

I use my PS3 as a media extender and it works great, I can stream everything from my Vista Box, I can even stream it over the internet to my PSP!. Plus the PS3 supports HDD upgrades with regular computer HDD. I even installed Linux which is also supported by the PS3 and now I have tivo type functionality.

I'm not a Sony fanboy, I'm just a fan of the PS3's features
May 20, 2008 2:24:19 AM

FaceLifter said:
I use my PS3 as a media extender and it works great, I can stream everything from my Vista Box, I can even stream it over the internet to my PSP!. Plus the PS3 supports HDD upgrades with regular computer HDD. I even installed Linux which is also supported by the PS3 and now I have tivo type functionality.

I'm not a Sony fanboy, I'm just a fan of the PS3's features
While that was a nice attempt to plug the PS3, we're talking about actually using Windows Media Center extender, a feature the PS3 does not support.
!