How do I install Windows 7 on a sata drive?

Adent_42

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
This is a new build. I have gibabyte GA-H55-USB3 motherboard and a Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB HDD. The HDD and the DVD+RW are sata and both show up in the bios but the HDD doesn't show up in the windows installer.

Things I've tried.
- Changed the bios to IDE and tried installing but the HDD still doesn't show up.
- Changed the bios to AHCI and tried installing the Sata ahci drivers from a thumb drive but still no HDD shows up.
- plugged the HDD into the gigabyte controlled sata plugs(2 grey ones on the side) and tried installing the Sata ahci drivers from a thumb drive but still no HDD shows up.

I've seen similar threads so I gather it doesn't show up because of lack of sata ahci drivers in windows 7. I have 5 blue sata ports and 2 grey sata ports. Are the blue ones the intel controlled sata ports and the grey ones the gigabyte controlled sata ports? Where should I be plugged in? It's a windows 7 64 bit dvd if that's relevent. The DVD+RW boots up the windows installer disk so I'm thinking that's not broken connected correctly. The HDD shows up in the bios and shows the correct info so I'm thinking that' connected and powered correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
Read page 82 of your manual for settings for those ports.
"Turn on your computer and press <Delete> to enter BIOS Setup during the POST. In BIOS Setup, go to Inte-grated Peripherals, ensure that Onboard SATA/IDE Device is enabled. Then set Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode to RAID/IDE (Figure 1). If you do not want to create RAID, set this item to IDE or AHCI."
If not using raid I would use the SATA 0 of the five other sata ports.

TRENDING THREADS