steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I loaded xp pro upgrade version on a windows 98 machine.
15 days later the activation period went by and I never
activated. Now when I boot the computer up it is making
me activate it after logon.

I put the Product key and it says it has exceeded the
maximum number of time to be activated or something like
that. Obviously this CD has been used before. So my
question is can I go purchase a new CD and license and be
able to activate it this way?

Thanks a bunch

steve wrote:
> I loaded xp pro upgrade version on a windows 98 machine.
> 15 days later the activation period went by and I never
> activated. Now when I boot the computer up it is making
> me activate it after logon.
>
> I put the Product key and it says it has exceeded the
> maximum number of time to be activated or something like
> that. Obviously this CD has been used before. So my
> question is can I go purchase a new CD and license and be
> able to activate it this way?
>
> Thanks a bunch

Steve

Yes, you can. The following article has the step by step procedure for
accomplishing this.

How To Change the Product Key at the Time of Activation:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=810892

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I don't think I get the ability to go to start and control
panel because I don't get passed the activation screen.

steve wrote:
> I don't think I get the ability to go to start and control
> panel because I don't get passed the activation screen.

Is the Product Activation screen appearing when you start the computer?
If it is appearing, do the following:
Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate
Windows, and then click Next.
Click Change Product Key, type the new product key, and then click Update.
Click Telephone, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the
activation process.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP