UT3 + lack of support

odg

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm a bit disappointed with the objectivity of toms games as of late. In their interview with Epic games, they didn't bring up the huge number of bugs that plague UT3. I have a Creative X-FI fatality sound card, and from the day the first beta was released there has been an openAL bug that causes crashes. Users of regular X-FI gamer models dont have this problem, but anyone with the x-ram (gag) can't enable good sound effects.

I picked up this sound card with a new machine, and a copy of ut3. I'm pretty gutted that I spent 200 bucks to have the super gamer model of the card, only to find out Epic doesn't care to support it. [i mean, if you listen to this card on BF2 its awesome... the card COULD be good, but epic doesnt pay attention to these things].

You blame PC piracy for UT3's lack of sales, but honestly if you go read the forums there is absolutely no effort to put on a good face for the customers. They just ban users, and leave 2-3 stickies of users solutions to various crashes. There is no community moderation, or discussion. They don't even acknowledge that the bug will ever be fixed. Its really bizarre actually and shows how little they pay attention to their users.

Now in all these reviews you blame piracy as a huge pc gaming killer. But why didn't you talk about this in your Sins of the solar empire review? Its a huge theme of your site, "pc piracy... pc piracy". So why not take into account how amazing sins is doing without any crappy DRM? How come this has nothing to do with the review?

I really would have hoped you would have attacked Epic for its lack of support and the way it distances itself from its own users. They exist as the complete opposite to Stardock and the sins crew. As a customer, I honestly feel this difference and i think it reflects how greed has taken over the industry.

I hope Epic and them go out of business, so that the programmers can be liberated by decent, well meaning publishers.

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Ive not had any problems with unreal on my pc. It runs massivly better than any game EA produce, and ive never had any bugs with epics unreal series. Wish i could say the same with EA.

I think maybe their forum's moderator is run by a little twatty immature brat? Quite a few forums on a the internet have idiots as moderators. Loads of online servers have them as well. Only thing i can say is........Live with it!.

Maybe you should pay a little bit more attention to the games you play as to what hardware they support BEFORE you buy them. Epic have made unreal so it works with aigia's (or whatever their called) physX card. So you cant say they dont support any "unusual" hardware.

If you want awsome sound i suggest you go buy a hi-fi instead with a sub-woofer and then place the speakers close to your ears on high volume.

HookIII

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
All the more reason many of us stick with the original UT99!
Many of us still love UT99 and like myself, am not inticed in the least bit to get anything newer!
UT99 is still going strong! - (what a game eh?) :wahoo:
If you really like UT (any version) - check out our UT site - see my sig. :hello:

odg

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

Hey just to clear this up: I picked my sound card after their recommendation!

http://www.unrealtournament3.com/us/index.html (note the "Sounds best on X-FI" advertising)

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=16559 (note this is the specific card I purchased, and there is an advertisement for UT3, saying "SOUNDS BEST WITH X-FI".)

This card is also chosen by the Championship Gaming Alliance and there are a plethora of ads there too.

So what did I do wrong again? Should I have perhaps pirated the game first to make sure it worked?

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006

Oh sorry......I didnt realise they promoted the card with the game. In that case they are n00bs.
Yes i think you should of pirated the game to make sure it worked, after all, would of saved you a few £ on buying the game?

Sounds to me like you got a bit shafted.

perzy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Well epic is patching it more and more...it was the same with the original.
UT is somewhat of a community , with epic making the base and the community making mods and maps. I think thats what makes it great, although it has its drawbacks too. BTW, I anxiusly wait for the awsome UT3-sniper maps that are in the works (by modders)!