Does changing to family plan require contract extension?

When I signed up for Verizon, they told me that I could change my plan
(add minutes, etc.) without having to get a contract extension.

I currently have a single phone. My wife's contract with T-Mobile has
ended and we want to switch to a Verizon Family plan. Do I have to
extend my contract? I don't want to extend because my contract expires
in July and I would like to go month-to-month.
2 answers Last reply
More about does changing family plan require contract extension

    Dial *611 and ask, but I suspect the answer will be "you want a new plan, that
    means a new contract".

    Tom J

    Gus Mahler wrote:
    > When I signed up for Verizon, they told me that I could change my plan
    > (add minutes, etc.) without having to get a contract extension.
    >
    > I currently have a single phone. My wife's contract with T-Mobile has
    > ended and we want to switch to a Verizon Family plan. Do I have to
    > extend my contract? I don't want to extend because my contract expires
    > in July and I would like to go month-to-month.

    Yes and no. You will not be extending your contract by simply
    adding your wife to a family plan. Your wife's line will require a
    new contract.

    1) It *may* be the case that contracts (1yr, 2yr) are only required
    with subsidized equipment? If you wife is simply activating her T-mobile
    phone (they are GSM? so I guess not) she may be able to simply go
    month-to-month?

    2) You should think of plans as lines. A family plan is comprised
    of 2 or more lines (the primary and 1 or more secondary for $20 more each).
    Each line on a family share plan can have a different contract end date.
    So if you were to add your wife to your family plan it would not extend
    your contract end date. It may or may not require that your wife's line
    (phone #) has a 1yr or 2yr contract -- see 1) above.

    So after July if you dropped your service your wife would have to move
    to some other plan or incur an early termination fee.

    3) Your contract will be extended if you move your phone to a family
    plan and accept *any* promotions or move to a promotional plan.
    I assume you are not on a family plan now.

    4) #2) above applies to New-any-two also. If your wife's phone is
    a secondary line on a family plan it will not be eligible for New-any-2
    since it's considered to be a $20 plan and falls under the $40 minimum.

    -Quick

Verizon Extension Internet Service Providers