Wireless signal source

snow

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

I have a WiFi modem on my laptop for work which is 2 miles a way from my
house. I just noticed when I use the laptop at home I pick up a weak signal
and was able to get on the internet. My neighbor has wireless DSL. Is it
possible this is where the signal is coming from? Or from a business? I did
not stay on long
since I am not certain if it would cost money, plus it is not my own signal.
I was curious if this is common to pick up other wireless internet signals.

snow wrote:
> I have a WiFi modem on my laptop for work which is 2 miles a way from my
> house. I just noticed when I use the laptop at home I pick up a weak signal
> and was able to get on the internet. My neighbor has wireless DSL. Is it
> possible this is where the signal is coming from? Or from a business? I did
> not stay on long
> since I am not certain if it would cost money, plus it is not my own signal.
> I was curious if this is common to pick up other wireless internet signals.

Yes, absolutely possible. If you are curious, look for Network Stumbler
and check the place with it... (http://www.stumbler.net/)

Aphrael
--
"La demande mondiale d’ordinateurs n’excédera pas cinq machines."
(Thomas Watson, Fondateur d'IBM, 1945)