HELP!!! Unable to download emails from server and losing b..

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Servers
  • Windows XP
October 1, 2004 2:01:05 AM

I have 2 email addresses, each with a different server - one with my dialup
connection, and one with my business website, which uses the same dialup
connection. I recently purchased a refurbished computer from Dell. It came
with windows NT. I set up my business email account on outlook. I can send
messages to myself & others. I can see the messages I have sent to myself on
webmail. But when I try to download to my computer it "checks mail" and says
"no new messages". There are no error messages. I have tried my personal
address on the same software and it works fine. I installed windows XP - same
problem. I called my business server and they set up my account on their
computer and it works fine, sending & receiving. They also walked me through
the account setup to make sure it was correct. So logic says (?) it can't be
the dialup, software, server, which leaves the computer. Help! I'm a caterer
and need to send & receive pics of events to and from potential clients. I
can cook great, use graphics well, but I know nothing about problems like
this!

More about : unable download emails server losing

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 1:11:39 PM

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:01:05 -0700, Saucy Chef wrote:

> I have 2 email addresses, each with a different server - one with my dialup
> connection, and one with my business website, which uses the same dialup
> connection. I recently purchased a refurbished computer from Dell. It came
> with windows NT. I set up my business email account on outlook. I can send
> messages to myself & others. I can see the messages I have sent to myself on
> webmail. But when I try to download to my computer it "checks mail" and says
> "no new messages". There are no error messages. I have tried my personal
> address on the same software and it works fine. I installed windows XP - same
> problem. I called my business server and they set up my account on their
> computer and it works fine, sending & receiving. They also walked me through
> the account setup to make sure it was correct. So logic says (?) it can't be
> the dialup, software, server, which leaves the computer. Help! I'm a caterer
> and need to send & receive pics of events to and from potential clients. I
> can cook great, use graphics well, but I know nothing about problems like
> this!

After checking the mail at the website, mark it "unread" before leaving the
screen. If it is noted as "read" the email program will not see it as a new
message. Then run the email program again to pick up the "new" mail. If you
still have trouble, call the tech support folks again and have them review
the settings once again with you.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Thanks for the advice Sharon, but I'm afraid it's no go. I know about once
downloaded to webmail, email is no long on server. I send myself something,
wait & check explorer before I check webmail. And they've already checked the
server & my account setup twice. I'm doing everything just like I did on my
old computer, which ran windows 95. I know that xp has a firewall. My
personal account works fine, and I can send email on the business acount, so
I'm wondering if maybe the problem is something with the interaction of the
firewall & my server. (My server name is my business name.) ??????

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:01:05 -0700, Saucy Chef wrote:
>
> > I have 2 email addresses, each with a different server - one with my dialup
> > connection, and one with my business website, which uses the same dialup
> > connection. I recently purchased a refurbished computer from Dell. It came
> > with windows NT. I set up my business email account on outlook. I can send
> > messages to myself & others. I can see the messages I have sent to myself on
> > webmail. But when I try to download to my computer it "checks mail" and says
> > "no new messages". There are no error messages. I have tried my personal
> > address on the same software and it works fine. I installed windows XP - same
> > problem. I called my business server and they set up my account on their
> > computer and it works fine, sending & receiving. They also walked me through
> > the account setup to make sure it was correct. So logic says (?) it can't be
> > the dialup, software, server, which leaves the computer. Help! I'm a caterer
> > and need to send & receive pics of events to and from potential clients. I
> > can cook great, use graphics well, but I know nothing about problems like
> > this!
>
> After checking the mail at the website, mark it "unread" before leaving the
> screen. If it is noted as "read" the email program will not see it as a new
> message. Then run the email program again to pick up the "new" mail. If you
> still have trouble, call the tech support folks again and have them review
> the settings once again with you.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Anonymous
October 2, 2004 4:20:42 PM

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:02 -0700, Saucy Chef wrote:

> I'm wondering if maybe the problem is something with the interaction of the
> firewall & my server. (My server name is my business name.) ??????

The only warnings I've seen about naming is not to name the computer the
same as any of the user accounts. If that's the case, may want to change
that to see if you have better luck.

Most firewalls, XP's included are setup to allow mail in and out on the
standard ports. If the email server uses a non-standard port for delivery,
that number needs to be entered in the account details of the email
program. And it may also need to be setup in the firewall configuration.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User