I reformated my hardrive. When I try to in stall xp home
or pro operating system, I get this message as soon as it
starts up.(This program cannot run in DOS mode.) How can
I install xp. Iam using a cd.

Take this link http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"james herring" <JHERRING2@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
>I reformated my hardrive. When I try to in stall xp home
> or pro operating system, I get this message as soon as it
> starts up.(This program cannot run in DOS mode.) How can
> I install xp. Iam using a cd.

Hi

How are you trying to install XP? You can't run winnt32.exe from 'DOS'.
The XP CD is bootable, but you may have to change the boot sequence via the
BIOS. The manual for the motherboard should tell how to do this. When
changed, put the XP into the cd drive, reboot your system and follow the
onscreen prompts.

If you do want to install XP from 'DOS', you need to run 'winnt.exe' in the
i386 folder. You will have to load Smartdrive first, otherwise the
installation will take hours.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User