flowmaster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
What have I done? :O !
I have a Gigabyte 7vaxp and a new AMD athlon xp 2400+ for my bro
with a 40gig hd and g4 mx 440 video card and a realtek tv tuner and 640 ddr 266mhz ram.
I install it with a 320 watt psu but when i Try to power it only stays on for five second and turns off. Do I need to get a more powerful power supply or is there some settings ive been missing?

:)

flowmaster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
and oh yeah its a case mod but i unplugged all the lights and stuff and it has a Thermal Take Volcano 9. I think its sucking out to much power for the little poor PSU

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Also make sure ypu HSF is prperly heated, this once happened to me on an MSI 745 Ulra when the HSF was only touching part of the core, it could be the thermal protection facility.

XT600_Crix

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
just make sure you use the 4pin-->3 pin adapter that came with the package and just plug the sensing cable in the Cpufan header. The mobo can't handle the current the volcano 9 draws........
And i agree that you should check the orientation of the heatsink...

That's not a knife... THIS is a knife!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Xt600_crix on 12/17/02 06:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

andlcs

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
Is your MOBO rev 1.1?
In this forum there are many posts with the same problem (but I coudn't find the posts. I think the subject of one post is "mobo shuts off after 5 seconds"). Anyway, here is what I found.

<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/20020905/kt400-07.html" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/20020905/kt400-07.html</A>
From THG: <i>"First, the bad news: unfortunately, the Gigabyte board almost completely refused to work with the Athlon XP 2600+ - after a few seconds, it would turn itself off again. Even upgrading the BIOS did not improve matters; only a test with the Athlon XP 2000+ showed that the board appeared to function. However, Gigabyte confirmed that this issue only happens with some pre-release samples (some bug within the thermal protection of the new Athlon XP) and already sent us the mass-production version of this board, which runs flawlessly and will take part in our huge KT400 roundup soon.</i>"

<A HREF="http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=13-128-154" target="_new"> check the N/A,10/17/2002 8:39:01 AM post </A>
From NewEGG customer review: <i>"OK people, don't be bashing guys who have problems with this MOBO when you don't know what you're talking about. I have pulled out my hair trying to figure out why this stupid thing will just power up for like 5 seconds and then turn off. I've replaced every component including the PS and it still didn't work. Actually, I did get it to work for like a day, like another reviewer said, but then all of a sudden it just wouldn't boot up. The OS installed was buggy as heck and I finally had to hack it using as Ghost image I made on another computer.

Listen up, I now know THIS IS A CONFIRMED hardware bug. Check out www.tomshardware.com and read their review on the KT400 boards. The board they got did the SAME DANG thing!!! I have version 1.1 and it still did this. I've hear version 2.0 is fixed. Hopefully NewEgg will take my MOBO back and give me a fixed version or a different working board.

Don't bash what you have not experianced. Research... Research.. Research.... </i>

flowmaster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
YES! Last night after I posted this topic I then realized what it could be after switching back and forth between the AMD Approved heatsink that came with the processor and the Volcano 9. To make a long story short it was the thermal protection kicking in I think. IT was the thermal tape that can with the volcano 9 that would let it go out right. So after I took it off because I didnt like it anyways I put thermal grease and finally I got it.
So now I have put everything back in the pci slots and connected back all the IDE cables to my Dvd and burner drives making sure the power was put in also. It runs like a champ and gotten a better score then the old 1 ghz that scored 4683(over-clocked to most I could get it!) on 3dmark2001SE but the new computer that runs at 2ghz scores a 6084 in 3dmark2001SE. Which also proves to my suspenions that its not all about the video card but the power behind it. :) which I allready knew.