Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PC games are turning into trash.

Last response: in Video Games
March 16, 2008 2:57:36 PM

Seems like MickySoft is the biggest part of the problem. Pushing Vista, Dx10 and XBox down everyones throat.

PC games are now mostly ports, and really bad ports at that.

Another serious problem is the hacking and cheating. A couple of hacker websites are now making money on their product.

Only multiplayer games I still play are CoD2, CoD4. Their hacked up but at least they work.
I broke down and got Bioshock. It's very different and a lot of fun, but there is no multiplayer game mode.

What games do you still play?

Is there any hope?

More about : games turning trash

March 16, 2008 5:30:16 PM

Half Life 3, nuff said
Related resources
March 17, 2008 12:40:19 PM

Strategy games are still alive and well on the PC. There are also some very promising titles on the horizon like Spore and Dragon Age, but I'm not sure those are your thing or not.
March 17, 2008 4:20:30 PM

Hey ho here we go again...................................

Piracy Is to Blame.... With out a shaddow of doubt...

Any one who says anything else is in denial.....

or a pirate that has means to this breakdown...

Why do you think that there has not been many Hollywood blockbusters like there used to be....people downloading them

PIRACY

Why do you think that Blueray won the wars

DVD was cracked and so was HD Dvd

Consoles are harder to copy games - the consoles have to be modified, chipped or what evers needed....so they return a better investment..

and disks are harder to create too...mostly DVD 9's

Out of reach of most people in the high street, but bit torrent is not...

All you need is a client, Winrar and Nero ( or what ever disk writing program you need) ) and a cheap dvd writer with single or dual layer disks.

Search them on google and youll get 100's of relpies

So consoles are a clear winner from a publishers point of view....

Yes pcs are more flexible, yes pcs are better machines, yes pcs have better games bla bla bla ... But consoles games are more frequent.

Games consoles came out with HD first - on a 1080i / p monitor

Games for windows has been a disaster, its since Vista came out and the Xbox 360 had decent games only just really comming out last year...

Go on name 10 Games for Windows Games, i bet you cant with out looking it up

now name 10 Xbox 360 games

It seems that the trend is, games are not being given to the oldest gaming platform ever... the pc....

You look in the shops, pc games magazines .... its 3-4 page spreads for a 75% game which is a addon pack....where before it was only 1 page.................and pc games tend to be the same ones week after week except those poxy SIM 2 Expansion packs for girls....

March 17, 2008 6:47:43 PM

I don't think it's the piracy issue that makes consoles sell more games than PC. They're just more accessible (cheaper).

You say that it's harder to pirate console games due to modding issues etc. Technically yes, this is true but in reality if someone really wants to play pirated games then relatively small issues such as this won't stop them.

Also think of a case like this;

Imagine a user who owns both a PC and a console. They want to save money by using pirate games. Since they have limited knowledge of anything above basic PC use (installing games, internet use etc.) they decide to take their console to 'the man on the market' or their 'friend of a friend' whom in a couple of days will return their console modded and with cheap games. This rather than learn the (to PC newbies) daunting task of messing around with cracked executables, copy protections and torrents that are needed on PC. Not to mention said user probably has a slow internet connection not conductive to downloading.

I believe that Blu-ray's copy protection has also been cracked - for quite some time.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/2007021...

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/02/13/bluray-and-hddvd-b...

PC games have taken advantage of high definition graphics for much longer than consoles. The 'next-gen' HD resolutions are 720i/p and 1080i/p (1280x720 and 1920x1080 respectively). Do some research and you'll see that PC games have been capable of 1280x1024 resolution and above for many years now. In fact I recall playing Duke Nukem 3D at a resolution of 1024x768 - very close to the lowest HD resolution of today.

Ascertain the facts before you post sweeping statements.
March 17, 2008 7:34:42 PM

adrenalinmad said:
I don't think it's the piracy issue that makes consoles sell more games than PC. They're just more accessible (cheaper).

You say that it's harder to pirate console games due to modding issues etc. Technically yes, this is true but in reality if someone really wants to play pirated games then relatively small issues such as this won't stop them.

Also think of a case like this;

Imagine a user who owns both a PC and a console. They want to save money by using pirate games. Since they have limited knowledge of anything above basic PC use (installing games, internet use etc.) they decide to take their console to 'the man on the market' or their 'friend of a friend' whom in a couple of days will return their console modded and with cheap games. This rather than learn the (to PC newbies) daunting task of messing around with cracked executables, copy protections and torrents that are needed on PC. Not to mention said user probably has a slow internet connection not conductive to downloading.

I believe that Blu-ray's copy protection has also been cracked - for quite some time.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/2007021...

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/02/13/bluray-and-hddvd-b...

PC games have taken advantage of high definition graphics for much longer than consoles. The 'next-gen' HD resolutions are 720i/p and 1080i/p (1280x720 and 1920x1080 respectively). Do some research and you'll see that PC games have been capable of 1280x1024 resolution and above for many years now. In fact I recall playing Duke Nukem 3D at a resolution of 1024x768 - very close to the lowest HD resolution of today.

Ascertain the facts before you post sweeping statements.

Yeah we had hi-res but to really take advantage of it we all need 24inch monitors

who runs games at 1920x1080 let alone windows on a 17 inch monitor.....

piracy is the obstacle hitting games developement, check all the torrent sites, all the latest games are on there ( if any ) that are ready to be copied, blagged whatever......on the same day, if not before they are released.

I hope all you blaggers get caught and fined..... Maybe it will wake you up......

March 17, 2008 9:50:56 PM

You don't need a 24" monitor to take advantage of high resolution, only to use resolutions like 1920x1080 and above.

No one. You can't get 1920x1080 17" monitors.

All I'm saying is that consoles did not "come out" with HD graphics first. PC had them long before. Try find anyone worth their salt in this forum who will agree with you.

You are welcome to your own opinion on piracy.
March 17, 2008 10:07:01 PM

adrenalinmad said:
You don't need a 24" monitor to take advantage of high resolution, only to use resolutions like 1920x1080 and above.

My 19" monitor handles 2048x1536 and is pretty good for 1920x1080 HD playback. But you're right, I don't think there are any 17" PC monitors which can handle those resolutions.
March 17, 2008 10:27:58 PM

Is that a CRT? I remember some of the old CRTs could muster very high resolutions even with small display size.
March 17, 2008 10:56:34 PM

adrenalinmad said:
Is that a CRT? I remember some of the old CRTs could muster very high resolutions even with small display size.

Yes, it's a CRT. Text looks a little fuzzy above 1600x1200, but otherwise it's fine for video and games at high resolutions.
March 18, 2008 5:59:14 AM

infornography42 said:
Strategy games are still alive and well on the PC. There are also some very promising titles on the horizon like Spore and Dragon Age, but I'm not sure those are your thing or not.

qft
March 18, 2008 6:36:06 AM

adrenalinmad said:

All I'm saying is that consoles did not "come out" with HD graphics first. PC had them long before. Try find anyone worth their salt in this forum who will agree with you.

You are welcome to your own opinion on piracy.

the HD format definition in its highest resolution is 1920x1080p which needs a wide screen to display properly

just like panoramic or wide screen movie being shown on a square tv - you had black lines at the top and bottom, remember......

to get the true benefit you need a 24 inch, it can be done with a high end 22 but to get the true benefit it needs to be a 24 inch....

And yes that is my stance on piracy, how much have you downloaded lately ?

yes pc games have been a better resolution than consoles, and some call it HD but the true HD format works as i have said before with a large widescreen tv...

March 18, 2008 12:53:40 PM

I think that pcs are the only platform for online games. The online fps are just as good as the online console games....if not way better. RTS = pc only. MMOG = pc only. Single player or nononline games = they are close to each other.

BUT!!! Windows has been hacked so many times that the level of frustration for maintaining a game pc games is very high. The cost of hardware also is a lot higher than a console. But when BF2142 is on sale at CCity, for $10 things can even out. As has been said, pcs are also work and communications tools. The thing that separates a work pc and a game pc is simply the videocard.
I sadly heard a rumor that XBOX's have been compromised by hackers but correct me if im wrong.
March 18, 2008 1:11:24 PM

ive had enough of these conversations, piracy is not the reason PC games are turning to trash... thats just an excuse when the game makers make really bad desicions then fail. getting copys for consoles is just as easy as pc games infact its easier.
March 18, 2008 2:20:10 PM

Hellboy said:
the HD format definition in its highest resolution is 1920x1080p which needs a wide screen to display properly

just like panoramic or wide screen movie being shown on a square tv - you had black lines at the top and bottom, remember......

to get the true benefit you need a 24 inch, it can be done with a high end 22 but to get the true benefit it needs to be a 24 inch....

And yes that is my stance on piracy, how much have you downloaded lately ?

yes pc games have been a better resolution than consoles, and some call it HD but the true HD format works as i have said before with a large widescreen tv...

Do you mean a 24 inch LCD tv that was basically PC technology first? You are right though. True HD looks better on a 24 inch+. But still consoles just continually rip PC's off and then we get the shaft in games. Well except the HL@/TF2 games. Those still rock any console games boots.
March 18, 2008 2:22:12 PM

Flakes said:
ive had enough of these conversations, piracy is not the reason PC games are turning to trash... thats just an excuse when the game makers make really bad desicions then fail. getting copys for consoles is just as easy as pc games infact its easier.

Wait why was HL2 delayed again? Oh right. The leak of the Source engine. Thats piracy for ya. Not every maker who states piracy is to blame is trying to avoid showing their mistakes. Some are hit by it, Valve being one of them.
March 18, 2008 5:15:45 PM

OMG, u guys really have to stop this crap... :non: 

there will always be pc gaming read flaken666 post in the pc section, it will very clearly enlighten you guys on why it simply isn't going to go away, even if it is just a simple theory it makes too much sense to dismiss...

Don't worry about console gaming, b/c it will always be here b/c there are simply too many idiots who can't deal with the changes of pc hardware to fathom the time to upgrade machines, mess with software upgrade/patches, so on and so on...

besides Microsoft has its own development studios, if you've ever played the highly regarded Age of Empires series you would know that, and I'm sure if more key players like epic decide that they have their panties in a bunch and will go only console, don't worry b/c AMD/ATi, nvidia and other companies that have poured tons of resources into GPU's will probably decide that they do not want to lose market share [in the pc gaming arena] simply b/c pussy developers [like epic] are too scared, and will produce their own development studios for PC gaming...

So don't worry, the PC gaming industry will be here to stay, b/c trust me they are in it, to win it...
:lol:  [:kentuckyranger:1] :lol:  [:kentuckyranger:1] :whistle: 
March 18, 2008 6:43:39 PM

Pfff piracy also exists in consoles.... one of the few reasons people bought Xboxes was converting it into an ultra-cheap but powerful Linux box!
March 19, 2008 9:24:39 PM

dont worry the only reason PC games are what you call trash is cause a lot of them the develpors make nice graphics but dont care about the gameplay AI.TRASH GRAPHICS.because of graphics everybody who wants to play good games like CoD4 all have to buy a gfx card and most of them arent cheap.EA is the worst of all They made trash out of medal of honor and seris like that.Anyway dont worry there still a lot of good games like Rts games and Mmos.
March 19, 2008 9:43:09 PM

bfellow said:
Pfff piracy also exists in consoles.... one of the few reasons people bought Xboxes was converting it into an ultra-cheap but powerful Linux box!

hmm, ty good sir, I think I found my next project!

although I guess I have to figure out what are the advantage of making such a Linux box, and hten what is it used for, I thought linux was a cute penguin? :lol: 

[:kentuckyranger:1] :bounce:  [:kentuckyranger:1] :bounce:  [:kentuckyranger:1]
March 19, 2008 10:05:16 PM

Quote:
one of the few reasons people bought Xboxes was converting it into an ultra-cheap but powerful Linux box!

Cool..
March 21, 2008 3:54:54 PM

HD is a long list of standards. We can start with HDMI which has had several revisions of it's official standard so far. Then you have 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. Then you have the HD broadcasting standards which are set to go live very soon. 7.1 surround is part of the HD audio standards.

Maybe the idea of HD as a concept is kind of silly given that PCs have been capable of and making use of these resolutions for a long time now, but there are most definitely standards involved.
March 21, 2008 8:15:21 PM

Hellboy said:

Why do you think that there has not been many Hollywood blockbusters like there used to be....people downloading them

PIRACY

Consoles are harder to copy games - the consoles have to be modified, chipped or what evers needed....so they return a better investment..

All you need is a client, Winrar and Nero ( or what ever disk writing program you need) ) and a cheap dvd writer with single or dual layer disks.

Yes pcs are more flexible, yes pcs are better machines, yes pcs have better games bla bla bla ... But consoles games are more frequent.

Games for windows has been a disaster, its since Vista came out and the Xbox 360 had decent games only just really comming out last year...

It seems that the trend is, games are not being given to the oldest gaming platform ever... the pc....

You look in the shops, pc games magazines .... its 3-4 page spreads for a 75% game which is a addon pack....where before it was only 1 page.................and pc games tend to be the same ones week after week except those poxy SIM 2 Expansion packs for girls....

bluray won because it was a better format, it holds more data than hd dvd so rather than having a box set of a entire series on 20 hd dvd's, you will have it on 6 bluray disks

piracy is not a major problem because you don't need to mod your 360 to play pirate games, many of the newer ones will work with no modding at all

the reason why pc gaming has gone to hell is because the makers don't see that not all of us have a 8800 ultra. if you want people to buy your game, don't make it so that only 5% of the market can run it

with consoles, they last a few years and you never have to worry about not being able to run the game, they all run smooth with no lag

with pc, you have the developers focusing on graphics and not gameplay, (while graphics are good, gameplay is more important. the wow effect of a good looking game lasts about 10 minutes. the game play is what lasts through out the game )

when they count piracy to torrents and stuff there looking at the tracker hits and not the completed downloads, if they actually look at those they would see that out of the millions of users with their game, probably 200-500 will have pirate copies.

to DRM your games it costs around $300 thousand dollars or more and it is broken with in hours of a game release so the only people sh suffer from the drm are the legit users who just stop buying the games because of it

a new company made a game and put no protection on it and it was one of the most successful ones of the year

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080320-pc-game-d...

people who are likely to pirate wont buy the game anyway even if they couldn't crack it

the harder the game is to run, the less sales it has because instead of selling to a market of 3 billion PC users, there selling to a market of 100-200 thousand pc users because the other 2.9 billion cant run the game.

some of the market that can run them usually don't feel like dealing with drm and will pirate it

compare the system requirements of a PC game to a xbox 360 game. also tell me how many xbox 360 users meet the requirements to run the latest xbox 360 games.

other companies are greedy and fail. no one is going to buy a game based on the box art. if no one is buying your game, then do this, check if your offering a game demo, if not then thats your first problem no one buys something based on the box art (when was the last time someone purchased an atari 2600 game and expected the gameplay to look like the box art, and if you expected that, how did you feel when you actually ran the game?)

it is like those idiots on the street trying to become a rapper, (usually to become one you have to have the support of a lot of fans before you will be noticed to the world) they say crap like you you want to buy my demo cd for $5 (hell no gtfo for all i know it could be you talking about bird feces for 5 hours)

you usually see small game companies boasting about a game you never herd of and expect people to take their word for it and buy the game, if you want to make a successful product, give something for free to gain fan support.

when the disposable razors were first infected, no one purchased them, so the maker of them started to give them out for free. people go them in the mail, they got them with packets of gum and other items. then eventually the fan support spread and suddenly everyone wanted one. now the only thing we mostly use to shave are razors and they improve them each year , 4 blades, 5 blades, titanium coated blades and so on

the problem with gaming companies is there expecting to be instantly king of the world because they made their first game
March 21, 2008 8:29:10 PM

razor512 said:
other companies are greedy and fail. no one is going to buy a game based on the box art.

Or if they did, they've quickly learned their lesson *cough*Hellgate*cough*
March 22, 2008 3:16:21 AM

after you gut BUSSAAAYY?

Jericho is that bad? ahhh, i wanted to play it too...if its not great meh...
March 22, 2008 10:55:17 AM

Quote:
if that is what you call standards i would hate to know what an unregulated mess would be.

If there were proper standards in both computing and consumer electronics things would be alot better. it would mean that the term HD ready would actually mean something, it would mean a dx9/10 game is actually that, it would mean specs were not misadvertised as in audio equipment, 100W speakers anyone.

that is what my point (somewhere in there) was in relation to hellboy.

So what you are wanting is fewer options and less flexibility. There is something to be said for that I suppose. It isn't fair to say that HD is completely without standards when in fact that is all that it is at this point. The problem mostly arises from the fact that that there are too many standards. Things seem to be heading toward a final standard of 1080p, but it will be a while before that has market saturation.

The mess we have now is due to the fact that the HD revolution started too early. The technology needed time to develop and low priced HDTVs needed to come out. Unfortunately the only way that can happen is to transition into it with cheaper alternatives for a while. Now the R&D dollars have pretty much been paid for and lower priced screens are coming out. Now we have to wait for the adoption rates.

Quote:
bluray won because it was a better format, it holds more data than hd dvd so rather than having a box set of a entire series on 20 hd dvd's, you will have it on 6 bluray disks

Bluray won because the PS3 was a bluray player. If you looked at the player sales and market saturation levels, you would see that. The vast majority of bluray players were PS3s. If you didn't count the PS3, HD-DVD was actually winning the war. As for Bluray's supposed superiority... They were pretty much equal technology wise. Bluray sacrificed robust design for extra storage space and then put an extra protective coat on to make up for it. HD-DVD on the other hand used a robust design similar to DVD so that a few minor scratches wouldn't affect playback. Moot point now though I suppose.
March 22, 2008 1:17:30 PM

Quote:
The vast majority of bluray players were PS3s. If you didn't count the PS3, HD-DVD was actually winning the war. As

Really? If I were going to buy a Bluray player I would have bought a PS3...
March 22, 2008 5:56:17 PM

physx7 said:
Quote:
The vast majority of bluray players were PS3s. If you didn't count the PS3, HD-DVD was actually winning the war. As

Really? If I were going to buy a Bluray player I would have bought a PS3...

Then your argument is that the PS3 was up until very recently a pitiful failure of a console sales wise, but a pretty darn good bluray player. The way I see it, the people who bought PS3s were people who wanted next gen video and next gen gaming. It was the cheapest and easiest way to do both. There were some who already had 360s but were interested in blu ray or just being able to play anything that came out. There probably were a few who were just looking for a blu ray player and figured it wouldn't hurt to get a game system out of the deal, but I'd wager the vast majority were the cross section.

History has shown that media formats do not win based on their technical merits, but for financial or convenience reasons. The PS3 was the enabler for both of those for what would otherwise have been the more expensive format.

The truth of the matter is that the PS3 is a solid gaming system that was targeted toward the crowd who already had HD-TVs and plenty of disposable income. They overestimated how large that cross section was or how willing they were to buy an expensive game console while gambling on the outcome of a very close format war. Initial PS3 sales suffered due to price, but this allowed sony to win their first format war. We will see if this ultimately pays off for them.
March 22, 2008 7:55:48 PM

I still say it was around the time that the adult industry decided to go exclusively blu-ray as opposed to HD-dvd is when the tides had turned.

on the consumer side of it I'm sure the PS3 had to have had something to do with the proliferation of blu-ray :lol: 
March 24, 2008 5:55:23 PM

I am a flight simulation freak and I've been playing "Space Shuttle Mission 2007" since it's release in January, and I just LOVE every minute with it. (http://www.space-shuttle-mission.com)

FINALLY something fresh, new and professional in the simulation world.

Not all hope is lost in the PC Gaming arena and there are some games that are simply gems.

My 2c,
Law
March 24, 2008 6:41:04 PM

the better the graphics get the less action the games have.

as you can see most new games already push the latest hardware to their limits. and if you look at many new games, especially ones like crysis, you don't gets the hoards of 30-40 enemies you would see in a less intensive game

the newer games will lag or crash if they tried it
March 25, 2008 5:27:30 PM

Well, what it comes down to there is, what do you want in a game.

Just because games like Crysis don't inundate you with hundreds of faceless minions for you to slaughter doesn't mean it isn't doing what it set out to do. And the upshot of smaller more tactical engagements is that you can afford to put more resources into making a detailed and beautiful environment.

Don't get me wrong, I love the original Serious Sam as much as the next guy, but there are multiple flavors of FPS to suit different tastes or to provide different experiences.
March 25, 2008 6:46:14 PM

Hellboy, I can name you 10 PC windows MMOrpg's that I have played let alone the massive pile i have of PC single player games.

I think maybe you are too young if you think there hasn't been any windows pc games dude.

I realy don't know why you said that. there are 100's of pc only games for windows and I'm not about to name them all because it is silly.

March 25, 2008 8:31:43 PM

Trexian said:
Hellboy, I can name you 10 PC windows MMOrpg's that I have played let alone the massive pile i have of PC single player games.

I think maybe you are too young if you think there hasn't been any windows pc games dude.

I realy don't know why you said that. there are 100's of pc only games for windows and I'm not about to name them all because it is silly.

No you dont understand what I mean...

The GAMES FOR WINDOWS is a banner which Microsoft sells games, anyone can name games that run in Windows...
March 25, 2008 9:16:27 PM

Lol, I think what trexian was trying to say is that, only young kids don't really know how good pc games truly were...

they did not see the rise of: Command and Conquer circa 1998

Stacraft & brood wars circa 1998-1999ish

Age of Empires circa 1997

Stronghold circa 2001

Half Life circa 1998

- counter strike

Quake circa 1996

Unreal torunament circa 1999

Starseidge: Tribes circa 1998

and not to mention their own individual dynasties that came about from these classics...

gaming now a days has fallen so far from its glory days. but its till survives b/c of many [not all] of these games....

the only things that comes to mind in terms of consoles are mario and sonic...im sure some youngins, will be like, omg what about this and that..but truly u just don't know...
March 26, 2008 7:48:26 AM

FrozenGpu said:
Lol, I think what trexian was trying to say is that, only young kids don't really know how good pc games truly were...

they did not see the rise of: Command and Conquer circa 1998

Stacraft & brood wars circa 1998-1999ish

Age of Empires circa 1997

Stronghold circa 2001

Half Life circa 1998

- counter strike

Quake circa 1996

Unreal torunament circa 1999

Starseidge: Tribes circa 1998

and not to mention their own individual dynasties that came about from these classics...

gaming now a days has fallen so far from its glory days. but its till survives b/c of many [not all] of these games....

the only things that comes to mind in terms of consoles are mario and sonic...im sure some youngins, will be like, omg what about this and that..but truly u just don't know...

Yup all those games were great,,,

I still like to play DOOM and Duke Nukem, a sequal was rumoured for that one but I have given up hope....

Halo 2 on the pc was poop, why oh why didnt they put more in to this i dont know , if Halo 3 is the same dont bother.. Seriously, dont bother.....

Anything by the origional Bullfrog, or Lionhead is fantastic... Still play Dungeon Keeper...

Dice, Warren Spector, to name but a few have respect in the industry.... as does the Civilisation guy....

Just have to wait and see if this year is a duffer, proberly will be as pc games are in decline now....
March 26, 2008 11:18:16 AM

Most of the games I play would never be ported over to a console; read as strategy games. One game I play (X3: Reunion) was going to be released for the Xbox 360, but so many feature had to be dropped and size of the universe would need to be shrunk down that the project was canceled.

On top of that, X3 is considered a niche game for the PC so I doubt it would have done well on the Xbox.

Some FPS games I've played were never released for a console anyway like Far Cry, Stalker, Crysis, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines for example.
March 26, 2008 5:09:28 PM

actually they did release a teaser a little while ago, Duke Nukem forever is was it is rumored to be called as far as I know, but do not give up hope, just like I didn't give up hope, I just hated blizzard for not bringing up Starcraft 2 as soon as they could..but nooo they had to make WoW...jesus christ...really?

I mean the RTS were great but to replace them with Rpg's, thats just a no-no, I don't play rpg's I'd rather watch somebody else play them to be honest, like hybrid heaven for N64..but I guess I'm rambling now, but blizzard tsk-tsk ... :non:  :non:  :non: 

:pfff: 
March 27, 2008 11:07:35 AM

FrozenGpu said:
actually they did release a teaser a little while ago, Duke Nukem forever is was it is rumored to be called as far as I know, but do not give up hope, just like I didn't give up hope, I just hated blizzard for not bringing up Starcraft 2 as soon as they could..but nooo they had to make WoW...jesus christ...really?

I mean the RTS were great but to replace them with Rpg's, thats just a no-no, I don't play rpg's I'd rather watch somebody else play them to be honest, like hybrid heaven for N64..but I guess I'm rambling now, but blizzard tsk-tsk ... :non:  :non:  :non: 

:pfff: 

I think your scolding is a bit less than effective. I doubt they can hear you through the insulation of billions of dollars they are raking in hand over fist.
March 27, 2008 6:30:28 PM

infornography42 said:
I think your scolding is a bit less than effective. I doubt they can hear you through the insulation of billions of dollars they are raking in hand over fist.

meh, and the rich are getting richer you say, no wayz!1!!!!!111 :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

I don't really care...nothing I say would get them to change anything anyways, but since I can complain, I will!

fenix nooooooooooooo!!! :( 

damn joo blizzard, damn joo!!! :pt1cable: 

:hello: 

April 1, 2008 3:44:28 PM

Hellboy said:

PIRACY

Piracy isn't to blame, the main reason people buy less games these days is cause the market is full of poorly made games that will never see the support it needs, theres not one PC game made by EA that gets the support it needs, the only company that does support its games is Valve. (not talking about MMORPG's)
Most of the demos for PC are single player demos, once in awhile we get a multi player demo but some of those limit how high you can turn up the settings.

Theres lots of reason people don't buy that many PC games like they use to, game developers have cut back on how long they support a game and now their starting to force us to look at streaming ad's all over the maps plus put up with spyware built into the game that monitors how long you play and how long you look at the annoying billboards spread out all over the maps. (look at BF2142 and ET:Quakewars)

Another reason people like to download single player games is cause the games are too damn short to be worth $49.95, unlike console users we can't pay $5-10 dollars and rent the game for a week and beat it.

The main thing consoles have going for it is everyones hardware is the same, so its easier for developers to make games for it, plus you can go out and rent the game before you buy it.
The console isn't 100% piracy proof, theres mods out there that allow you to play burnt games, its not that hard to make dvd9 disks, they cost a bit more but thats about it.

You can't blame piracy for bad PC game sales, not like the person was going to buy the game anyways, i wonder how they get their numbers to blame it on piracy, do they ever stop and think their product blows or people have seen other games they released and failed to support.

April 1, 2008 9:50:25 PM

Umm... Point of note, Stardock supports their games, as does Blizzard.

In fact I've never seen a company provide better patch support than Stardock. Not only do their games come out stable from the box, but the patches are more like tweaks and content updates.
April 1, 2008 10:06:57 PM

What happened to 40-50 hours of game time? I remember when this was the standard pc game length. I also remember the complaint about FPS being 10-12 hours long now that is standard.

With all this cutting edge technology why haven't we gotten voice activated commands standard with games?

Why do some games not allow you to save anywhere?

Why are you expected to go through 3 patch iterations before a game is considered polished? I mean blizzard fixes bugs like a game crashing in April of 2048 or so, and other developers can't even get basic pathing right.

Perhaps all developers should start focusing on the blizzard philosophy of releasing a game "When it is ready" rather than by some street date of before the Christmas season. Blizzard releases in march and they outsell everyone.
April 1, 2008 11:51:19 PM

Most developers get pressured by their publishers to get the games out ASAP, regardless of whether or not they're finished. Blizzard is the exception to the rule, but they really should be the standard. Companies like Flagship Studios are ruining the industry by giving everyone a reason to be extremely cautious when buying games. If something like Hellgate: London could be released unfinished as it was, what other games could be as well?
April 2, 2008 1:16:32 PM

adrenalinmad said:

what? Of course 17" monitors support 1920x1080, my laptop has a 17" screen and a native resolution of 1920x1200, even higher, and I bought that in 2006. Its now 2008 I'm sure you can buy 17" monitors at 1920x180 and above.

Still I recently got a 24" screen late last year running at 1920x1200 and games like COD4 look awesome on it.

I agree with every body about piracy having a impact on PC gaming, with developers having to waste time putting more effort into copy protection, which gets cracked anyway and makes it more of a pain for people who actually purchase a genuine copy.
April 2, 2008 1:51:11 PM

infornography42 said:
Umm... Point of note, Stardock supports their games, as does Blizzard.

In fact I've never seen a company provide better patch support than Stardock. Not only do their games come out stable from the box, but the patches are more like tweaks and content updates.

And guess what? People are buying their games, sure Stardock games are also pirated but lots of customers prefer to have a legal copy because there is an actual benefit in it for them.

fridge said:

I agree with every body about piracy having a impact on PC gaming, with developers having to waste time putting more effort into copy protection, which gets cracked anyway and makes it more of a pain for people who actually purchase a genuine copy.

Well, again look at how Stardock approaches this issue. They simply refuse to spend time on preventing piracy and their games sell well. I really hope more companies will take example to this (and it should be simple business logic).

April 2, 2008 2:51:52 PM

omenowl said:
What happened to 40-50 hours of game time?

People got lives :) .

Seriously, I've played far too many games that offered '40-50 hours of game time' but only 4-5 hours of that was actual fun. I'd much rather have a shorter game without the time-sinks inserted to make it seem longer.
April 2, 2008 7:47:00 PM

Wow, I couldn't keep quiet on this one. lol

Hellboy said:

No, that is what the publishers WANT you to think though. Yes, piracy is a problem. Yes, publishers weigh that in the mix on deciding where to put there cash. BUT, it is NOT the whole problem... not by a long shot.

Hellboy said:

PIRACY
wrong again, there are multiple reasons... rising ticket prices, ease of rental for your nice new home theater... and the biggest: hollywood making crap movies that are either lame rush-jobs, lame remakes, lame sequels or a combination of the three. Yet even with that they still set record sales numbers and turn large profits... piracy is there, sure... but it is not a huge industry killer like the media says it is... it is NOT the cause, perhaps it is the result of what I mentioned above? I am not condoning it, just observing. I own (read: purchased legally) more than 400 dvd's and would label myself a movie-buff so I follow alot of the market there.

Hellboy said:

So was blueray... again, you are wrong. Blueray won b/c Sony (rightfully so) did not want a repeat of vhs/betamax so it threw a ton of cash behind the scenes (again, smart) to ensure most studios stayed with them. Once HDdvd had no studios but 1 it was a foregone result.

Hellboy said:

Now here, you are partly right. From a publishers view the console is better... but more from a trackable market aspect rather than a true "better" market. They can see and follow where their sales/money goes. They see a "captive" market that is now "forced" to buy their games b/c you can do nothing else with that console. A PC owner is not a game player... a console owner is.

As for more frequent... there are more games on the console yes, but most of them are not worth your money. See the above info on crap movies for a mirror of that. ;) 

Hellboy said:
As already pointed out, "HD" is just a marketing term... the tech that makes it up has been on PC since before you were probably born. Even 10 years ago I had a 21" crt running at 1600x1200 and above... which at a raw pixel count is right in between your 1080 and 720 p display.

Hellboy said:
That is just a name, and in no way does it mean that all PC games must have it... from a marketing stand, ya... prb fail. But not all great pc games this last year had that tag either so it is a moot point.

Hellboy said:

So what if you have to look it up? and you really should not name any 10 games, but 10 GOOD games... that is just as hard on the 360 IMO... even harder if you drop the cross platform ones. But 10 GOOD games (consistent GOOD reviews) is tricky on ANY platform... just there is less crap to sift through on the PC ;) 

Hellboy said:

Wrong. "pc games magazines"? If you are talking about the likes of "game informer" or something else in GameStop... those have not been "pc games magazines" since the millenium. The only true pc games mag in a store like that is PC Gamer... and I have yet to see them give a full spread ANYTHING for a game like the SIMS... If you look through a mag like that you can see plenty of reviews for releases that are good and bad, but that means there are enough releases to keep them working...
April 2, 2008 10:11:02 PM

Muhad said:
Seems like MickySoft is the biggest part of the problem. Pushing Vista, Dx10 and XBox down everyones throat.

PC games are now mostly ports, and really bad ports at that.

Another serious problem is the hacking and cheating. A couple of hacker websites are now making money on their product.

Only multiplayer games I still play are CoD2, CoD4. Their hacked up but at least they work.
I broke down and got Bioshock. It's very different and a lot of fun, but there is no multiplayer game mode.

What games do you still play?

Is there any hope?

I think what he is getting at is the fact that most companies are abondoning the PC platform and going to consoles. I remember when it was the thing to have was a high speed low drag PC. It seems that most companies have forgot where its at, PC's are where its at. I love my computer

AMD Athlon 64 3400 2.4Ghz
2GB PC 3200
430w PS
512mb ATI X1300 AGP interface
Windows XP

I want to have the excitement back to where you don't know how to spend your money because there are so many games to choose from. Now its more like, I have more money than there is games to spend it on. Does anyone understand where I am coming from on this??

Oh by the way, I play COD4 and WOW. Nothing else out there that really gets my attention. Anyone got any suggestions?

Anyone play Frontlines: Fuel of War, or Turning Point: Fall of Liberty. How are they?
!