Do I really NEED so many "documents" folders

On my Networked XP I have 5, count em 5, "Doucments"
folders:
1 at the top of the explorer list called "My Documents"

1 listed under "My Computer" below the control panel
called "Documents" this is NOT a link back to "My
Documents" at the top of the explorer list

1 listed under "My Computer" below the control panel
called "Computername's Documents that links back to "My
Documents"

1 listed as C:\Documents & Settings\all users\Documents
this contains links to "Program Files" and the "Start
Menu"
1 listed as C:\Documents & Settings\user\My Documents
this seems to be the same file as "My Documents" listed
at the very top of the explorer list

do I really need all these different "document" folders--I
can see it getting REALLY confusing for co-workers wanting
to send files to my documents folder via the network--
which one should they be sending the files to?
1 answer Last reply
More about documents folders

    Each "My Documents" folder or directory is different from each other. I
    would not recommend deleting, removing, or consolidating the files from them
    randomly. For example, the one from the "All Users" directory path is
    exactly that, "all users". In other words, all users who log onto that
    compute will see those files. There are ones which should also indicate
    specific users, in such a case, only that user will see those files listed
    when they log on and go to their My Documents folder. Other users will not
    see those items belonging to that user's "My Documents".

    When individuals send files, the sender won't be specifying WHERE to send
    the file in regards to the recipient's computer system. It is up the
    recipient to place it where they want. For example, the recipient may chose
    to place their file in on their desktop. Or they may choose to place their
    downloaded files into a special folder or directory called "Today's Work
    Items", or any folder or directory of their choosing, not the sender's
    choosing. By default, many files which are downloaded are automatically
    downloaded the "My Documents" folder belonging to whoever is logged on at
    the moment but they can change that if they so choose.

    There are also other folder or directories in the system which are similiar
    in the sense that there are multiple versions of them as well. These
    folders are different from each other, even though they may have the same
    name. For example the "Desktop" folder. The Desktop folder is different
    for each user's desktop.

    Again, I do not recommend deleting or removing any items from these folders.
    One cannot assume that other uses will be able to access them from one of
    the other "My Documents" folders. Each "My Documents" folder is different.
    They exist for a reason. They are not exact duplicates of each other. You
    may find that an important document you happened to remove from someone
    else's "My Documents" folder may no longer be accessible by that person or
    to anyone else who may need it. There are also security issues associated
    with each folder and this will differ depending on the security level of a
    user.

    Please reply to the newsgroup.
    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
    confers no rights.

    "Pam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > On my Networked XP I have 5, count em 5, "Doucments"
    > folders:
    > 1 at the top of the explorer list called "My Documents"
    >
    > 1 listed under "My Computer" below the control panel
    > called "Documents" this is NOT a link back to "My
    > Documents" at the top of the explorer list
    >
    > 1 listed under "My Computer" below the control panel
    > called "Computername's Documents that links back to "My
    > Documents"
    >
    > 1 listed as C:\Documents & Settings\all users\Documents
    > this contains links to "Program Files" and the "Start
    > Menu"
    > 1 listed as C:\Documents & Settings\user\My Documents
    > this seems to be the same file as "My Documents" listed
    > at the very top of the explorer list
    >
    > do I really need all these different "document" folders--I
    > can see it getting REALLY confusing for co-workers wanting
    > to send files to my documents folder via the network--
    > which one should they be sending the files to?

Control Panel My Documents Explorer Windows XP