[Q] Memory Pavilion zx5078cl Notebook

Reading the HP site and looking over the site manual for ZX5000 series,
has me totally confused by the memory layout for my Pavilion zx5078cl
laptop. They show the memory going in under the keyboard in one
diagram and in the notebook bottom in another diagram. One states it
takes a single chip with a max of 1 GB while another web data page
states it takes two chips with a max of 2 GB. I have 512 MB and am
looking to go to 1 GB. Type of memory is another story - one has 266
MHz while another states 333 MHz.

Anyone know what's is what with HP Pavilion ZX5000 Series Notebook?

DREW
3 answers Last reply
More about memory pavilion zx5078cl notebook

    I agree that HP documentation is confusing because they cover several
    models with the same documents. You can, however, wade through it
    with perseverance. I have a zx5078cl, and the memory door is
    definitely in the center of the bottom of the computer.

    The HP zx5078cl can take a maximum of 1,280 mb of DDR SDRAM. Your
    5078 comes with 512 mb (two 256 mb sticks) and only one is
    replaceable. Therefore, the maximum you can put in the second slot is
    a single 1024 mb replacing the current 256 mb in that slot. Going to
    Crucial Technology you will see that the 1024 for the 5078 is DDR333,
    unbuffered, non-parity. It also costs $449.99! Even Crucial has the
    max memory wrong. They don't often make mistakes.

    It looks like your only choices are to go with a single 1024 or single
    512. The 512 would give you 768, and cost only $116.99. You really
    pay for that next 512 mb, and it is more than you wanted in the first
    place. I suppose you could disassemble the computer and put the 1024
    in slot one, and leave slot two empty. That's assuming you can even
    remove the chip from slot one.

    I am taking the specification for the zx5078cl directly from HP
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=389767&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&dest_page=prodinfoCategory&tool=prodinfoCategory&docname=c00059853

    Dick

    "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    > I agree that HP documentation is confusing because they cover several
    > models with the same documents. You can, however, wade through it
    > with perseverance. I have a zx5078cl, and the memory door is
    > definitely in the center of the bottom of the computer.
    >
    > The HP zx5078cl can take a maximum of 1,280 mb of DDR SDRAM. Your
    > 5078 comes with 512 mb (two 256 mb sticks) and only one is
    > replaceable. Therefore, the maximum you can put in the second slot is
    > a single 1024 mb replacing the current 256 mb in that slot. Going to
    > Crucial Technology you will see that the 1024 for the 5078 is DDR333,
    > unbuffered, non-parity. It also costs $449.99! Even Crucial has the
    > max memory wrong. They don't often make mistakes.
    >
    > It looks like your only choices are to go with a single 1024 or single
    > 512. The 512 would give you 768, and cost only $116.99. You really
    > pay for that next 512 mb, and it is more than you wanted in the first
    > place. I suppose you could disassemble the computer and put the 1024
    > in slot one, and leave slot two empty. That's assuming you can even
    > remove the chip from slot one.
    >
    > I am taking the specification for the zx5078cl directly from HP

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=389767&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&dest_page=prodinfoCategory&tool=prodinfoCategory&docname=c00059853

    > Dick

    I read that too, but then why can you customize the zx5000 series notebooks
    to 2 GB

    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto/computer_customize_components.do

    DREW

    On a custom order HP can built it anyway you want, up to 2 gb. They
    can put a 1024 in both slots. That doesn't mean you can. After they
    are built, there is only one slot accessible, so you can't change the
    256 that the 5078cl already has in slot one. Not saying it is
    impossible, just not what HP intends for user upgrades.

    Dick

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 03:34:41 GMT, "Drew DUBLER"
    <drucifer@worldnet.att.not> wrote:

    >I read that too, but then why can you customize the zx5000 series notebooks
    >to 2 GB
    >
    >http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto/computer_customize_components.do
    >
    >DREW

Hewlett Packard Notebooks Memory Computers