Australia CDMA with Verizon Phone

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 27, 2004 8:07:03 PM

Has anyone used their Verizon phone in Australia on Telstra? My son will be
in Gold Coast, near Brisbane, for college and thought about taking his
phone. With the 111111 verizon lock code, it could be reprogrammed or maybe
it just needs a different PRL. Any thoughts about Australian telephone
useage welcomed.
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 8:52:49 AM

I get a good signal almost everywhere on my Verizon phone when there.
However, you can't make calls because Telstra has no roaming agreement with
any US carrier on CDMA. I tried to do a prepaid activation on a 2nd NAM but
that was a no-go too. Their system would not accept my US phone's ESN.

I suggest buying a a cheap pre-paid phone when you get there - phone shops
all over the place. Telstra CDMA service is best when you get far from the
cities but otherwise GSM is fine. Avoid phone rentals at airports -
expensive minutes plus a big security deposit is at risk if you lose the
phone.

"John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone used their Verizon phone in Australia on Telstra? My son will
be
> in Gold Coast, near Brisbane, for college and thought about taking his
> phone. With the 111111 verizon lock code, it could be reprogrammed or
maybe
> it just needs a different PRL. Any thoughts about Australian telephone
> useage welcomed.

Anonymous
May 29, 2004 3:32:24 AM

Suggest checking on aus.comms.mobile or
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/6385, for possible help. Seems I
remember talk about Telstra only activating their own phones.
!