will Crysis run on Vista 64bit

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
My new system is running Vista 64bit and I would like to get Crysis, but the demo will not run and I just wanted to make sure the game will run on a 64 bit system before I spend the money.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
A little late but I have Vista-64 bit and Crysis.

I have had some problems running Crysis in 64 bit mode...especially after installing the patches. If for some reason you have the same issues as me, run the game in 32-bit. The performance difference is barelly noticable...then again, I haven't tryed 64-bit with patches so maybe there is a difference.

Luke69

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Gaming is great on my PC. It is of semi decent spec. q6600 8800gt 4g ram

I use vista 64. Manhunt does not run, every other game I have tried has no problems. Not tried any real oldies though.

Everything has been flawless to me, so I would definately not write Vista off. Is there an article explaining Vista's crapness (I dont mind the -3 or whatever FPS) for gaming as I have overlooked it in practical use?

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

You either haven't tried it or have a crap PC.

Being as my 3-Way SLi only works under Vista, my 8GB of ram is more useful under Vista due to there being a well supported x64 version, and DX10 is only available under Vista, it is much better for me.

I have introduced 3 other people to Vista.

At first they weren't keen on a few things. 3 months later, none would go back to XP.

I seem to remember alot of people going on about how much XP sucked and 98SE was so much better back in ~2001. Look how that turned out.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

Im running crysis patch 1.2 and a whole load of vista updates and patch's. Video driver version make a big difference, the december version seemed to have stability issues Im running the march version now and having less problems, thats for my 8800GTX.

I find vista a pleasant enough experience for gaming, dx10 can make a decent difference in some games, I find the enhanced shadows added via dx10 to one game I play to be a particularly nice addition. Well worth the upgrade, and when all patched up I have had no issues with vista 64 bit, apart from lack of drivers for my colour laser printer :(

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

I installed all my Vista updates including SP1 Vista..have the latest BETA drivers and Patch 1.2 installed and still nothing. Maybe I'll resinstall the game and go from there.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
There is even a 64-bit executable. If I understand right that mean that it is true 64-bit and can even use more then 2GB of memory.

I personally play this game on Vista 64-bit... and it's amazing!

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Crysis does have a 64bit build and yes it can address to more than 2 gig (go’s as high as 3.2 gig on my rig) and yes it runs fine on Vista 64, as do all games I’ve tried so far, except F.E.A.R Extraction Point which seems to have a ram leak, there probably is a fix but I haven’t been amped enough to play Extraction Point, to actually go to all the effort of goggling for a fix.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007

My PC is just fine, good enough to run Crysis at 1600x1200 at about 40 FPS solid. 3 way SLI is a waste of money and electricity, and 8 gigs of RAM can't be optimized by any current game right now. DirectX 10 is a joke. I've already got my eyecandy OS too, it's called Mac OSX Leopard. It runs faster, is more secure, and more stable than Vista. I use XP Pro to game, and it's the best OS out there for gaming. I'm sorry you wasted your money on Vista. Myself, I'll wait for Windows v7, or maybe linux will be a viable gaming platform by 2010.

G

Glad to know your OS is more secure than my OS.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/27/pwn-2-own-over-macbook-air-gets-seized-in-2-minutes-flat/

How is OSX "faster"?
How is OSX "more stable"?

As far as linux is concerned, keep waiting.

IMHO, Vista 64 is a great platform, coupled with Virtual PC 2007, I can run "virtually" any OS of my choosing.

It's my box in a box! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xElIik0Ys0

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

3way SLi is quite useful with a 2560x1600 screen, I have noticed a significant gain in FPS thanks :)

8 GB cant be used by any current game, but Crysis under x64 will use ~3.5GB, while my other apps total ~1GB, and when I run Photoshop I am definately thankful for my 8GB.

DirectX10 on a decent computer is an improvement.

My Vista install is way more stable than XP was.

Fact still remains that everyone I have introduced to vista would not go back. I have never known anyone with a decent PC that has tried Vista for more than a week or so that has not then preferred it to XP.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Virtual PC is garbage, particularly compared to VMware or Parallels. Why should I drop 5k on a computer when I can run a game in high res in XP 32 bit for less than 1k? It's economics. It is also another reason that PC gaming is going to drop even farther. It's all overkill. In a year a new card will come out that's faster and better than 3 way SLI, not to mention much more power efficient.

Back to Vista, everyone I know, including myself, have decided to upgrade back to XP Pro 32bit, migrate to Ubuntu linux, or get a Mac. Read the internal reports from Microsoft about how buggy and incompatible Vista is. The PC hardware fails to run Vista better than a Mac does, which is very ironic. PC world gave the top ranking of Vista capable machines to the Macbook Pro.

Regarding OSX, I've never seen an OS handle high res video rendering and editing as good as it does. The hack was a Safari exploit, not the OS. The only thing that saved vista was the anti-phishing filter built into it.

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I think certain people posting hear have crappy computers and are feeling bad about it so now there trying to blame it on Vista. I have a useful tip for u: be smarter when building a computer. Don't buy a crappy graphics card and then whine about how bad ure computer plays games. I wanna see some specs from crom.

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

I have never owned XP so :kaola:

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

You said it yourself. "...built in...".

Darron

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
Crom, have you even seriously tried vista? And lets see some specs.

Vista x64 bit runs way better on both this PC and my laptop than XP ever did.

Um what day and age do you live in? A Mac now uses PC CPUS, Hard drives, memory and everything else. Its all the same only priced higher than the true value. So there is no way that Vista will run better on a Mac than a PC. Of course if you are using what the commercial said then yes a Mac can run Vista better than...... a freakin Dell $600 dollar PC. Spend the same amount of cash on a custom PC as you would on a Mac and it will knock Mac into space. And stop using brainwashing Mac adds as some reason a Mac is better than Vista.

Personally I love how they compare a Mac Computer to Windows and not the PC.

Also I have been running Vista Premium 32bit for roughly 7 months and it runs like a dream. I loved XP when it came out but Vista is my new love. It is probably the best new OS since 98SE. I will never go back to XP. I still have it for my old PC but my new PCs+ will be Vista.

Go hump your Mac as it is lonely and stop pushing your opinion onto other people. You don't like Vista who cares. Now go love your Mac OSX which has been shown to have more problems than Windows ME.