User account issues with XP

I'm trying to help my dad with his new laptop. He's been working on it for a
few months under the "Administrator" user id. Now I was creating separate XP
accounts for him and my mom, but as soon as I created the first one, the
"Administrator" account disappeared. I can see all the files when I go to
the C: drive, but how can I get that account back as a sign in option. I
tried creating a new account called "Administrator" but it says it already
exists. I want the old account information back. How can I do this?
5 answers Last reply
More about user account issues

    KrisP23 wrote:
    > I'm trying to help my dad with his new laptop. He's been working on
    > it for a few months under the "Administrator" user id. Now I was
    > creating separate XP accounts for him and my mom, but as soon as I
    > created the first one, the "Administrator" account disappeared. I
    > can see all the files when I go to the C: drive, but how can I get
    > that account back as a sign in option. I tried creating a new
    > account called "Administrator" but it says it already exists. I
    > want
    > the old account information back. How can I do this?

    As you've learned, once any additional user accounts have been
    created, the Administrator account will no longer be displayed on the
    Welcome Screen. This is a default security feature. By design, the
    only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
    reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
    the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.

    The built-in Administrator account really isn't intended to be
    used for day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to
    set a strong password on it and use it only to create another account
    for regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door"
    in case something corrupts your regular account(s).

    A wiser course of action would be to create another user account
    for your father's daily use, and copy desired the files and settings
    from the Administrator account to this newly created user profile.

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Hi,

    See if this helps:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

    Under section 8 - Problems - there is a link to a patch that often resolves
    this problem

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "KrisP23" <KrisP23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to help my dad with his new laptop. He's been working on it
    > for a
    > few months under the "Administrator" user id. Now I was creating separate
    > XP
    > accounts for him and my mom, but as soon as I created the first one, the
    > "Administrator" account disappeared. I can see all the files when I go to
    > the C: drive, but how can I get that account back as a sign in option. I
    > tried creating a new account called "Administrator" but it says it already
    > exists. I want the old account information back. How can I do this?

    Hi,

    Once regular user accounts are created, the administrator account is removed
    from view, though it still exists. To access the default administrator
    account:

    In WinXP Pro, hit ctrl+alt+delete twice at the logon screen and type it in.

    In WinXP Home, you must restart and enter Safe mode by hitting F8 at
    startup. The administrator logon will be one of the options.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "KrisP23" <KrisP23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to help my dad with his new laptop. He's been working on it
    > for a
    > few months under the "Administrator" user id. Now I was creating separate
    > XP
    > accounts for him and my mom, but as soon as I created the first one, the
    > "Administrator" account disappeared. I can see all the files when I go to
    > the C: drive, but how can I get that account back as a sign in option. I
    > tried creating a new account called "Administrator" but it says it already
    > exists. I want the old account information back. How can I do this?

    Ignore this, as it was meant for another poster.

    --

    > Hi,
    >
    > See if this helps:
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
    >
    > Under section 8 - Problems - there is a link to a patch that often
    > resolves this problem
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "KrisP23" <KrisP23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm trying to help my dad with his new laptop. He's been working on it
    >> for a
    >> few months under the "Administrator" user id. Now I was creating
    >> separate XP
    >> accounts for him and my mom, but as soon as I created the first one, the
    >> "Administrator" account disappeared. I can see all the files when I go
    >> the C: drive, but how can I get that account back as a sign in option. I
    >> tried creating a new account called "Administrator" but it says it
    >> already
    >> exists. I want the old account information back. How can I do this?

    Easy, there are several options.

    By default, XP doesn't display the Administrator account on the Welcome
    screen, especially when more then one account is defined, as you have found.
    :-)). However, you can add this account by performing the following steps:

    1.. Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
    2.. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList subkey.
    3.. From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.
    4.. Enter Administrator as the Valuename, then press Enter.
    5.. Double-click the new value, set it to 1, and click OK.
    6.. Close the registry editor.
    The Administrator account will now appear on the Welcome screen. Using these
    same steps you can also prevent an account from appearing on the Welcome
    Screen, thereby creating a "hidden" account. Enter a new Valuename equal to
    the accountname and set the corresponding registry account value to 1 to
    display the account or 0 to hide the account.
    For example, to hide the account for user Bob, add a value named "bob" to
    the registry subkey identified in Step 2 and set the value to 0.

    Another way to have the Administrator account appear on the Welcome Screen
    is by having the Administrator account as the only group member in the local
    group Administrators.

    hth

    george

    "KrisP23" <KrisP23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to help my dad with his new laptop. He's been working on it
    > for a
    > few months under the "Administrator" user id. Now I was creating separate
    > XP
    > accounts for him and my mom, but as soon as I created the first one, the
    > "Administrator" account disappeared. I can see all the files when I go to
    > the C: drive, but how can I get that account back as a sign in option. I
    > tried creating a new account called "Administrator" but it says it already
    > exists. I want the old account information back. How can I do this?

Microsoft Windows XP