lost Notepad file

I spent countless hours compiling information on NotePad
(about 10-14 pages).
I was going to copy/paste my file to Microsoft Word for
editing. I right-clicked, copied, opened a new Word file,
and pasted. Nothing was there. I went back to my NotePad
file.
Nothing. The file was there, but it was empty. I have
searched every file for this information; looked in the
Recycle Bin, and did a system restore. Nothing.

PLEASE tell me a way to find my file. I am desperate.

Thank you so much.
5 answers Last reply
More about lost notepad file

    It might be too late as it is possible you have already lost the data but if
    you haven't restarted your computer and haven't copied over the data that
    was in the clipboard simply launch Notepad and press Ctrl+V to see if you
    can paste the data back. It might still be in the clipboard.

    Can I ask why you didn't compile this in Word to begin with? At least Word
    creates a temporary file to work out of and sometimes you can get data back
    out of that temp file.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Cindy wrote:
    > I spent countless hours compiling information on NotePad
    > (about 10-14 pages).
    > I was going to copy/paste my file to Microsoft Word for
    > editing. I right-clicked, copied, opened a new Word file,
    > and pasted. Nothing was there. I went back to my NotePad
    > file.
    > Nothing. The file was there, but it was empty. I have
    > searched every file for this information; looked in the
    > Recycle Bin, and did a system restore. Nothing.
    >
    > PLEASE tell me a way to find my file. I am desperate.
    >
    > Thank you so much.

    I'm guessing before you cut/pasted - you saved.. and saved as again to make
    sure you had a backup?

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    It is necessary to use caution when using copy and paste as it is easy to
    do a cut operation by mistake. It is easy to see when this happens...the
    cut operation makes the info disappear from notepad, to indicate that it
    has been "cut."

    If the notepad file has been saved following this "cut", the data would
    be wiped out.

    This scenario is at variance with the one you described, as the events
    described in your post, and the resulting loss of data, are very
    improbable.

    If you did a "cut" operation in error, and it is easy to do since the cut
    and copy commands are close together on the menu, the way out of the
    problem is to exit notepad. The program will ask, as you have probably
    seen a few times, save changes yes no. This is one of those times you
    really need to hit no. If you hit yes, the changes will be saved, as you
    asked the machine to do, and the change in this case is that your data is
    gone.

    I have lost a file from time to time...in this case the countless hours
    situation suggests that somewhere in that time it would be a good idea to
    have a diskette or two available to put a working copy of the file on.
    Since it is easy to lose data by clicking the wrong button, it is a good
    idea to make a copy on the A drive from time to time to provide some
    insurance agains operator error.

    In this case you would save to my documents, the save to A, then save to
    My Documents again to let the notepad program know to stay away from the
    a drive when saving the next changes. But to have countless hours of
    work disappear is well an indication that a prudent procedure was
    omitted, i.e. the value of the data does vary with the amount of time
    invested, and the more valuable the data, the more care that must be
    taken to protect the data against loss....whether the loss is due to
    machine malfunction, or as is more frequent, a human error.

    You probably issued (clicked) a "cut" rather than "copy" command, then you
    opened Word and whatever was in Clipboard - in RAM - was... gone?
    On the other hand, I do not see how the "paste" command was available in
    Word if the Clipboard was empty? Also, you cannot (the respective
    command -ctrl c, ctrl x - is unavailable - or "grayed out" in Edit menu)
    "copy" an empty Notepad file on the Clipboard to erase the content.
    Moreover, when you try to close Notepad, it will ask you to confirm the
    change of content... you just click No and the text will be there even if
    you cut it before (and did not save the 'cut').
    All in all, either you have a memory problem (albeit, you should have seen a
    BSOD), or you run some RAM manager, or you messed up the files.
    For ex., you might have pasted some blank 1st page in Word, might have
    messed up by some weird normal.dot with a few 'blank' pages, white fonts,
    html view etc.
    I would search for all files *.txt, *.doc created/modified that day, then
    I'd look for .tmp files too and hope System Restore left some of it.
    Also, you can download some file undelete utility from the web - few are
    free at least to see if you still have the file.
    Good luck :)
    Michael

    You might have
    "Cindy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I spent countless hours compiling information on NotePad
    > (about 10-14 pages).
    > I was going to copy/paste my file to Microsoft Word for
    > editing. I right-clicked, copied, opened a new Word file,
    > and pasted. Nothing was there. I went back to my NotePad
    > file.
    > Nothing. The file was there, but it was empty. I have
    > searched every file for this information; looked in the
    > Recycle Bin, and did a system restore. Nothing.
    >
    > PLEASE tell me a way to find my file. I am desperate.
    >
    > Thank you so much.

    I am hoping when you performed this process, you went
    into your edit menu, chose SELECT ALL ( your entire
    documenrt will highlight), then COPY ( this will copy the
    content console to the clipboard), then PASTE into the
    application you chose. You would then see all of the
    content from the program you copied it from. If you did
    not select all in your document, it will not copy the
    items, for you did not tell the system to do so.

    ultimately
    >responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know
    what you are
    >getting into before you jump in with both feet.
    >

    >.

Microsoft Word Notepad Microsoft Windows XP