Automatic updates

I had Automatic Updates set to "norify but don't download."

Today a globe with the microsoft flag appeared in the toolbox, and data
was moving. The globe rollover said "automatic updates."

I then switched off automatic updates in control panel and rebooted.

Have logged on to the net and there is still data moving but no globe
with the ms flag. How can I identify this on-going download, and how did
it start if I had automatic update set to "prompt first"?

Kent Betts wrote:
> I had Automatic Updates set to "norify but don't download."
>
> Today a globe with the microsoft flag appeared in the toolbox, and
> data was moving. The globe rollover said "automatic updates."
>
> I then switched off automatic updates in control panel and rebooted.
>
> Have logged on to the net and there is still data moving but no globe
> with the ms flag. How can I identify this on-going download, and how
> did it start if I had automatic update set to "prompt first"?

Review HOW TO: Configure Automatic Updating in Windows XP - 306525

With emphasis on Turn Off Automatic Updates and
on Have Windows Remind You About Pending Updates.

If you turn it all off, you should really logoff & reboot the system.

Use Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del keys) to see what programs / and services are running -- if you question what's running.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User