How to remove stuff that XP SP2 Installs in your Sys tray ..

Jim

I installed XP Service Pack 2, and it installed something in my system
tray without my permission, it's a little red shield supposedly a
virus checker and firewall and who knows what else. I already use
McAfee for these tasks, so how can I purge this unwanted program from
my system? McAfee disabled them but the icon is still there and
every bootup I get an unwanted balloon message.

Can SP2 be un-installed? Linux is looking better and better....

Yo Jim

What you should do is this.. install any one of the many forms of Linux..
you shouldn't need instruction on this because Linux is simple, yes?.. then
after playing about with it (you will have to do this because the
conventions are a little different), you join a Linux newsgroup, complain
about something relatively simple, and make the statement that XP is looking
better and better.. if you get lucky, you could make this full circle in
less than twenty four hours..

Happy computing..

Mike H

"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
>I installed XP Service Pack 2, and it installed something in my system
> tray without my permission, it's a little red shield supposedly a
> virus checker and firewall and who knows what else. I already use
> McAfee for these tasks, so how can I purge this unwanted program from
> my system? McAfee disabled them but the icon is still there and
> every bootup I get an unwanted balloon message.
>
> Can SP2 be un-installed? Linux is looking better and better....

Hi

Try this:

Control Panel>Security Center - left hand side 'Change the way Security
Center alerts me'.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
>I installed XP Service Pack 2, and it installed something in my system
> tray without my permission, it's a little red shield supposedly a
> virus checker and firewall and who knows what else. I already use
> McAfee for these tasks, so how can I purge this unwanted program from
> my system? McAfee disabled them but the icon is still there and
> every bootup I get an unwanted balloon message.
>
> Can SP2 be un-installed? Linux is looking better and better....

Jim

Thanks Will, that did it.

Jim

Will Denny wrote:
> Try this:
>
> Control Panel>Security Center - left hand side 'Change the way
> Security Center alerts me'.

Or go with Linux.. That should be interesting.

--
<- Shenan ->

That's good Jim - glad to help.

--

Mike H wrote:
> Yo Jim
>
> What you should do is this.. install any one of the many forms of
> Linux.. you shouldn't need instruction on this because Linux is
> simple, yes?.. then after playing about with it (you will have to do
> this because the conventions are a little different), you join a
> Linux newsgroup, complain about something relatively simple, and make
> the statement that XP is looking better and better.. if you get
> lucky, you could make this full circle in less than twenty four
> hours..
> Happy computing..

;~^)

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

> Mike H
>

> "Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I installed XP Service Pack 2, and it installed something in my
>> system tray without my permission, it's a little red shield
>> supposedly a virus checker and firewall and who knows what else. I
>> already use McAfee for these tasks, so how can I purge this unwanted
>> program from my system? McAfee disabled them but the icon is still
>> there and every bootup I get an unwanted balloon message.
>>
>> Can SP2 be un-installed? Linux is looking better and better....

Open Control Panel\Double click on Security Center\Under Resources click on
'Change the way Security Center alerts me' unclick 'Firewall', 'Anti-Virus'
& Automatic Updates' if you wish.

'Can SP2 be un-installed? Linux is looking better and better....'

I suppose so when you don't know your way around.

"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
>I installed XP Service Pack 2, and it installed something in my system
> tray without my permission, it's a little red shield supposedly a
> virus checker and firewall and who knows what else. I already use
> McAfee for these tasks, so how can I purge this unwanted program from
> my system? McAfee disabled them but the icon is still there and
> every bootup I get an unwanted balloon message.
>
> Can SP2 be un-installed? Linux is looking better and better....

Run-->Services.msc

Disable Security Center.

--
David Nimon