delete unnecessary files

I really need disk space. Is there a way to delete files
I will not need, for example, the files that run the
Introduction to Windows XP?

Have you tried running the defrag, and disk cleanup tools? You might want
to try that before you do anything else.
There are programs for that, one that I know is called EasyCleaner. One of
the components is for removing unnecessary files...
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/

scroll down to the bottom to look for EasyCleaner..

Bob Blakely wrote:
> I really need disk space. Is there a way to delete files
> I will not need, for example, the files that run the
> Introduction to Windows XP?

Which edition of XP is this? Home or PRO ?
I'm thinking if this is Pro you might want to remove IIS (possibly) -- Internet Information Services --- if this pc is a stand-alone.

Run "Disk Cleanup" (from all programs>Accessories>System Tools menu) to be sure you delete all "Temporary Internet Files.".

Use SEARCH (from main start menus) to look for ".TMP" files, and for ".LOG" files.
TMP files can & should be removed.
For LOG files, review their create/ last modified date. Selectively remove oldest files.

This should help get you started. And hopefully gain more space than worrying about introductory tour to Windows.

How much FREE space is left? What is total capacity of your HDD ?
How old is this system? Did it start out with XP when new? or is it an upgraded system?
Are you a total novice? a newbie, or moderately experienced with Windows?
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

P.S.S.
In case Service Pack has been applied:

If you have applied Service Pack 2, then consider some more cleanups.
See Aumha page on "Tidying up after installing SP2"
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7265

Substantial space can be reclaimed after having installed a Service Pack --- you can archive (to CDs) or remove the SP "un-install" set of data.

If you are really double-sure positive you'd never want to undo old patches --
then you could delete the individual $NtUninstallQnnnnnn folders (located in folder \Windows or \WINNT ).
Just know that would make the old patches un-installable .

Those are individual hotfix un-install folders. You may delete those.
The registry will have leftover entries; so you may want to get into Add/Remove Programs,
select these items. It will fail the uninstall, and then allow you to remove listing from registry.

Also, be aware, if you made recent 'optional' updates 'after' installing service pack ---
then those would be among that set of folders.

If you will never need to un-install SP2, the $NTServicePackUninstall$ folder can be removed.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

You can clean out your temp, and temp nternet files (as
well as cookies), as these files load up in a cache, and
eventually slow the system down performance wise.

wrote in message
>> I really need disk space. Is there a way to delete
files
>> I will not need, for example, the files that run the
>> Introduction to Windows XP?
>

>.

>"Bob Blakely" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I really need disk space. Is there a way to delete files
>I will not need, for example, the files that run the
>Introduction to Windows XP?

You might want to try (freeware and small) Empty Temp Folders, which
gets rid of a lot of things intended to be temporary.
http://www.danish-shareware.dk/soft/emptemp/index.html

Hi

EasyCleaner causes problems within XP and has to be configured properly so
as not to render XP unusable. Probably best to leave EasyCleaner well
alone.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried running the defrag, and disk cleanup tools? You might want
> to try that before you do anything else.
> There are programs for that, one that I know is called EasyCleaner. One
> of
> the components is for removing unnecessary files...
> http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/
>
> scroll down to the bottom to look for EasyCleaner..
>
> "Bob Blakely" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I really need disk space. Is there a way to delete files
>> I will not need, for example, the files that run the
>> Introduction to Windows XP?

What problems? I use it and so far, at least, I don't think I have had any
problems, but I sure would like to know, now that you mention it. I might
have to remove it from my pc. Thanks for the heads-up!
> Hi
>
> EasyCleaner causes problems within XP and has to be configured properly so
> as not to render XP unusable. Probably best to leave EasyCleaner well
> alone.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Have you tried running the defrag, and disk cleanup tools? You might
want
> > to try that before you do anything else.
> > There are programs for that, one that I know is called EasyCleaner. One
> > of
> > the components is for removing unnecessary files...
> > http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/
> >
> > scroll down to the bottom to look for EasyCleaner..
> >
> > "Bob Blakely" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I really need disk space. Is there a way to delete files
> >> I will not need, for example, the files that run the
> >> Introduction to Windows XP?

Hi

It deletes references in the Registry that it shouldn't delete - one
affecting Help and Support.

--

> What problems? I use it and so far, at least, I don't think I have had
> any
> problems, but I sure would like to know, now that you mention it. I might
> have to remove it from my pc. Thanks for the heads-up!
>> Hi
>>
>> EasyCleaner causes problems within XP and has to be configured properly
>> so
>> as not to render XP unusable. Probably best to leave EasyCleaner well
>> alone.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
>> > Have you tried running the defrag, and disk cleanup tools? You might
> want
>> > to try that before you do anything else.
>> > There are programs for that, one that I know is called EasyCleaner.
>> > One
>> > of
>> > the components is for removing unnecessary files...
>> > http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/
>> >
>> > scroll down to the bottom to look for EasyCleaner..
>> >
>> > "Bob Blakely" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

well, thanks for the tip. I don't know if it has been the cause of troubles
or not, however, until recently, I did have problems with Norton, and
missing reg files. Anyway, I'll stop suggesting EasyCleaner, and I have
just removed it from my pc. Thanks again, Will Denny!
> Hi
>
> It deletes references in the Registry that it shouldn't delete - one
> affecting Help and Support.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> > What problems? I use it and so far, at least, I don't think I have had
> > any
> > problems, but I sure would like to know, now that you mention it. I
might
> > have to remove it from my pc. Thanks for the heads-up!
> > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> EasyCleaner causes problems within XP and has to be configured properly
> >> so
> >> as not to render XP unusable. Probably best to leave EasyCleaner well
> >> alone.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>

> >> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> > want

Hi

There is a way round this, which is to add 'Help' to the options Skip list
in EasyCleaner. Not everyone configures it before it used though!!