Upgrade from ME/98 to XP

I have computer that originally ran 98. I upgraded it
years ago to ME. Now I want to upgrade to XP. Would I be
smarter to uninstall the ME upgrade first before upgrading
to XP, or can I go ahead and upgrade to XP without
uninstalling ME and going back to 98?

Any benefits/disadvantages either way?

-Steve-
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrade

    There is no need to uninstall the Windows ME upgrade
    before upgrading to Windows XP. If you follow a good
    preparation procedure, you'll have a good eXPerience
    upgrading to Windows XP.

    HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or
    Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;316639

    Before upgrading any existing Windows installation, it would be prudent to
    run the Upgrade Advisor for Windows XP. This tool will report what hardware
    or software may be incompatible with Windows XP. If you follow the Upgrade
    Advisor's recommendations, you should not have any problem upgrading to
    Windows XP.

    If you fail to utilize the Upgrade Advisor, you may run into incompatibility issues.
    Just inserting the Windows XP Upgrade CD in the CD Drive and selecting
    "upgrade" is not going to give you the desired result. You must "prepare and
    plan" your computer before beginning the upgrade process.

    Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307726

    It is imperative that you have the latest BIOS update installed. Visit the support
    website of the manufacturer of your computer or motherboard for instructions
    on updating your computer's BIOS.

    Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    Also, physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware devices,
    especially USB devices (not including your mouse, keyboard or
    monitor). Uninstall any antivirus program, too!

    HOW TO: Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941&Product=winxp

    Clean Install Windows XP (optional)

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    How to troubleshoot problems during installation when you upgrade from Windows 98
    or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064&Product=winxp

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    scout66801 wrote:
    > I have computer that originally ran 98. I upgraded it
    > years ago to ME. Now I want to upgrade to XP. Would I be
    > smarter to uninstall the ME upgrade first before upgrading
    > to XP, or can I go ahead and upgrade to XP without
    > uninstalling ME and going back to 98?
    >
    > Any benefits/disadvantages either way?
    >
    > -Steve-

    Upgrade, but you should really consider the cost of upgrading at this time
    is close to the cost of a new entry level XP system with much more power.

    Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
    if using the web based newsgroup.
    For upgrading to XP Home or Pro, see the links below.
    http://aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
    XP Upgrade
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_2kupgrade.asp
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_9xupgrade.asp
    See the link below for steps on performing a Clean Install.
    Known problems with XP upgrades.
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpupgdissues.html
    Known Problems with Clean installs.
    http://www.labmice.net/WindowsXP/Install/installbugs.htm
    Top 10 Reasons for Moving to Windows XP Professional
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/top10.asp
    Why Windows XP Professional?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/default.asp
    Windows XP Professional Features
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/features.asp

    --

    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@michaelstevenstech.com
    http://michaelstevenstech.com
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    http://michaelstevenstech.com

    I upgraded from ME to XP and crashed I called several computer repair places
    because I was unable to repair the XP.
    I was told they do it but would perfer putting Win98 on first due to the
    instability in WinME.
    Myself I'd go with the 98.

    Good luck!

    "scout66801" wrote:

    > I have computer that originally ran 98. I upgraded it
    > years ago to ME. Now I want to upgrade to XP. Would I be
    > smarter to uninstall the ME upgrade first before upgrading
    > to XP, or can I go ahead and upgrade to XP without
    > uninstalling ME and going back to 98?
    >
    > Any benefits/disadvantages either way?
    >
    > -Steve-

    I went from WinMe to XP [Crash] lost all programmes because I selected to
    make XP my only operating system because I could not upgrade from ME

    "Gem" <Gem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I upgraded from ME to XP and crashed I called several computer repair
    >places
    > because I was unable to repair the XP.
    > I was told they do it but would perfer putting Win98 on first due to the
    > instability in WinME.
    > Myself I'd go with the 98.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > "scout66801" wrote:
    >
    >> I have computer that originally ran 98. I upgraded it
    >> years ago to ME. Now I want to upgrade to XP. Would I be
    >> smarter to uninstall the ME upgrade first before upgrading
    >> to XP, or can I go ahead and upgrade to XP without
    >> uninstalling ME and going back to 98?
    >>
    >> Any benefits/disadvantages either way?
    >>
    >> -Steve-

    Carey,is there any way to recover digital photos from me..upgraded using
    upgrade option cause i wanted to save exiting folders et. as per
    instuctions.every thing seems to be fine,except favorites are gone from
    ie6,address book from outlook, and photos from hp photosmart file.?

Computers Microsoft Windows XP