Upgrade from ME/98 to XP

October 3, 2004 11:10:22 AM

I have computer that originally ran 98. I upgraded it
years ago to ME. Now I want to upgrade to XP. Would I be
smarter to uninstall the ME upgrade first before upgrading
to XP, or can I go ahead and upgrade to XP without
uninstalling ME and going back to 98?

Any benefits/disadvantages either way?

-Steve-

More about : upgrade

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 1:41:43 PM

There is no need to uninstall the Windows ME upgrade
before upgrading to Windows XP. If you follow a good
preparation procedure, you'll have a good eXPerience
upgrading to Windows XP.

HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or
Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;316639

Before upgrading any existing Windows installation, it would be prudent to
run the Upgrade Advisor for Windows XP. This tool will report what hardware
or software may be incompatible with Windows XP. If you follow the Upgrade
Advisor's recommendations, you should not have any problem upgrading to
Windows XP.

If you fail to utilize the Upgrade Advisor, you may run into incompatibility issues.
Just inserting the Windows XP Upgrade CD in the CD Drive and selecting
"upgrade" is not going to give you the desired result. You must "prepare and
plan" your computer before beginning the upgrade process.

Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307726

It is imperative that you have the latest BIOS update installed. Visit the support
website of the manufacturer of your computer or motherboard for instructions
on updating your computer's BIOS.

Accessing Motherboard BIOS
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Also, physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware devices,
especially USB devices (not including your mouse, keyboard or
monitor). Uninstall any antivirus program, too!

HOW TO: Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941&Product=winxp

Clean Install Windows XP (optional)

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

How to troubleshoot problems during installation when you upgrade from Windows 98
or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064&Product=winxp

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"scout66801" wrote:

| I have computer that originally ran 98. I upgraded it
| years ago to ME. Now I want to upgrade to XP. Would I be
| smarter to uninstall the ME upgrade first before upgrading
| to XP, or can I go ahead and upgrade to XP without
| uninstalling ME and going back to 98?
|
| Any benefits/disadvantages either way?
|
| -Steve-
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 10:16:10 PM

scout66801 wrote:
> I have computer that originally ran 98. I upgraded it
> years ago to ME. Now I want to upgrade to XP. Would I be
> smarter to uninstall the ME upgrade first before upgrading
> to XP, or can I go ahead and upgrade to XP without
> uninstalling ME and going back to 98?
>
> Any benefits/disadvantages either way?
>
> -Steve-

Upgrade, but you should really consider the cost of upgrading at this time
is close to the cost of a new entry level XP system with much more power.

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
For upgrading to XP Home or Pro, see the links below.
http://aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
XP Upgrade
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_2kupg...
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_9xupg...
See the link below for steps on performing a Clean Install.
Known problems with XP upgrades.
http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpupgdissues.html
Known Problems with Clean installs.
http://www.labmice.net/WindowsXP/Install/installbugs.ht...
Top 10 Reasons for Moving to Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyup...
Why Windows XP Professional?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyup...
Windows XP Professional Features
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/featu...

--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@michaelstevenstech.com
http://michaelstevenstech.com
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.h...
Related resources
October 4, 2004 4:09:04 AM

I upgraded from ME to XP and crashed I called several computer repair places
because I was unable to repair the XP.
I was told they do it but would perfer putting Win98 on first due to the
instability in WinME.
Myself I'd go with the 98.

Good luck!

"scout66801" wrote:

> I have computer that originally ran 98. I upgraded it
> years ago to ME. Now I want to upgrade to XP. Would I be
> smarter to uninstall the ME upgrade first before upgrading
> to XP, or can I go ahead and upgrade to XP without
> uninstalling ME and going back to 98?
>
> Any benefits/disadvantages either way?
>
> -Steve-

October 5, 2004 5:29:12 PM

I went from WinMe to XP [Crash] lost all programmes because I selected to
make XP my only operating system because I could not upgrade from ME

"Gem" <Gem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I upgraded from ME to XP and crashed I called several computer repair
>places
> because I was unable to repair the XP.
> I was told they do it but would perfer putting Win98 on first due to the
> instability in WinME.
> Myself I'd go with the 98.
>
> Good luck!
>
> "scout66801" wrote:
>
>> I have computer that originally ran 98. I upgraded it
>> years ago to ME. Now I want to upgrade to XP. Would I be
>> smarter to uninstall the ME upgrade first before upgrading
>> to XP, or can I go ahead and upgrade to XP without
>> uninstalling ME and going back to 98?
>>
>> Any benefits/disadvantages either way?
>>
>> -Steve-

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 12:37:05 PM

Carey,is there any way to recover digital photos from me..upgraded using
upgrade option cause i wanted to save exiting folders et. as per
instuctions.every thing seems to be fine,except favorites are gone from
ie6,address book from outlook, and photos from hp photosmart file.?

!