Sign in with
Your question

Clock speed / Jumper question

Last response: in Motherboards
December 18, 2002 11:24:09 PM

I recently had to change my FSB in the BIOS from 100 to 133 in order for my newly-installed Athlon XP 2000+ to register properly. Do I need to change any jumpers on my MSI Sis 745 ultra motherboard? (The computer is running stably and is at the proper speed, I'm just checking to be on the safe side.)

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>
December 18, 2002 11:37:03 PM

Hi there :) 

To my knowledge, all of the newer motherboard bios's exclusively use the bios to adjust and alter clock and fsb speeds, as opposed to jumpers or dip switches on the motherboard itself. The only settings you might have to ensure are correct are cpu core voltage, as a change in clock speed such as you described might need higher voltage, but, then again, if you say you are running stable, there is no better indicator of a good test then that.

Good work!

Rob

Hey All!! Check out my new webpage! It is filled with all sorts of hardware / software / computer tweaks, and everything else!!

www.geocities.com/rob_dykens
December 19, 2002 12:34:28 AM

Quote:
I recently had to change my FSB in the BIOS from 100 to 133 in order for my newly-installed Athlon XP 2000+ to register properly.

Does it suppose to run with FSB of 133MHz? What you did was having it run at its proper speed.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
December 19, 2002 1:34:40 AM

Alright, thanks for the input. I was just double checking. I didn't want to inadvertantly be damaging my mainboard or anything.

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>
!