Call me old fashioned, but if the game Oblivion offers a wide range of spells for the caster-preferred playstyle, I find it strange that there are only 8-slot hotkeys. Granted, it is due to the handicap limitation of the console system. For the PC gamers, how do you make do with such a crappy system? Are there proven and good mods out there that can help? Or I am just not playng Oblivion the right way?
For low level (still), I configure my hotkeys this way.
1. Heal - can't live without right?
2. Some kind of fireball - main destruction spell
3. Summon creature - good to have a creature out there to take care of some situations with more than 1 mob
4. Protective shield - take lesser damage ... more like the D&D or WoW's Power Word: Shield, no? How to live without?
5. Sky light or something like that - I don't like carrying a torch ... besides, I can train up my spell by turning myself into a "lightbulb" every 2 mins or so, why not?
6. Detect Life - I feel much safer that way. Besides, I can manage to spot mobs hiding at some blind spots.
7. Ease burden - I am a caster who can't carry much. So I need this spell to be on at all time so as to carry a bit more.
8. Potion - Yep, that is my panic button.
So, my usual drill is ...
Hit 7, hit C, hit 5, hit C ... and then every now and then, hit 5, hit C, hit 6, hit C, hit 4, hit C ...
Only then I can start to attack. I am sure there are better ways, right? Besides, I really need to add a bit more spells that I can use due to the situation. Spells like weakness to fire ... perhaps a shock spell, weakness to shock ... etc. Bear in mind that I am still a lowbie. I am sure there will be tons of spells that will become useful to me later.
Eager to hear your thoughts on this rather old game.
Yeah, would be nice to have more, but man are mine different than yours. It varies by level, but Most often my is something like - 1 is a magical weapon like dagger of fire, blunt soul trap etc. , 2 my main weapon, 3 bow, 4 some type of arrow or magical arrow, 5 heal, 6 fireball of some type, 7 ease burden/feather, 8 torch.