Logoff Lockup Problem

Using Windows XP Home, with new service pack installed. My wife and I each
have our own own separate "account" in Windows XP (no other accounts set
up). Both accounts have "administrative rights." When we are both "signed
on", and she decides to "sign off", the computer locks up and the monitor
goes black. Nothing works. Ctrl-Alt-Delete, pushing power switch on
computer, has no effect. Also, it sounds like the hard drive is still
running.

Then, the only way I can get up and running (from the lockup) is to unplug
the computer from the power, replug it and hit the power button to reboot.

We are running a Gateway 500S with two internal hard drives. What can I do
to eliminate this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.
6 answers Last reply
More about logoff lockup problem

    "...D."
    > how you can have 2
    > people logged into one computer
    > at the same time..?

    I am the only user of this machine as well but I distinctly recall
    reading in the instructions that more than one user can be logged in at
    once. It is not a problem There is a "quick change" feature that allows
    the users to switch back and forth to do whatever work they are involved
    with.

    this info is from byte.....a user, not the magazine

    ---------------
    Hold it! No reinstall is needed for this minor problem.
    All you need to do is a little trouble shooting. A reinstall,
    depending on other applications you have
    installed, could take several days to do a complete recovery.
    Go here first:

    Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    If you browser through some of the other answers here you will find links
    to a lot of general purpose troubleshooting pages....some of which
    contain info on shutdown problems.

    I have started a favorites folder to store links to some of these web
    pages.

    What are your current account settings on both accounts,
    as well as your power management settings?

    >Then, the only way I can get up and running (from the
    lockup) is to unplug
    >the computer from the power, replug it and hit the power
    button to reboot.

    >We are running a Gateway 500S with two internal hard
    drives. What can I do
    >to eliminate this problem?
    >
    >Thanks in advance for your help.
    >

    >.

    Both accounts have administrator rights. One account has password
    protection, the other account does not.

    Power Management settings:

    Turnoff Monitor after 15 minutes
    Turnoff Hard Disks after 15 minutes
    Standby after 20 minutes
    Hibernate set to "never"

    Thanks Jenifer

    "Jenifer Scot" <jenifer_scot@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> [...]

    Unrelated to your problem, I just want to comment that if it was me, I
    would just let the hard drive run. The Monitor off, yes, but not the HD.
    ...D.

    On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:55:15 -0500, "Bugsy" <Bugsy@bugtrap.com> wrote:
    >Both accounts have administrator rights. One account has password
    >protection, the other account does not.
    >
    >Power Management settings:
    >
    >Turnoff Monitor after 15 minutes
    >Turnoff Hard Disks after 15 minutes